Connecting DVR & DVD recorder trouble

Old 01-03-09, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting DVR & DVD recorder trouble

I am having trouble connecting the new dvd recorder I bought in order to record from cablevisions DVR to DVD. I have a home theater hooked up with the cablebox along with the dvd player. I simply swapped out the old dvd player, so it plays, just can't record. component info below

- DVD recorder(brand new): Panasonic DMR EZ28
- Cablebox: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
- TV (aprox 7 years old) :Panasonic CT-34WX52 (HD Ready)
- Reciever (aprox 7 yrs old): Sony STR DE575

I have this thing wired so many different ways that some of the wiring may be redundant. The TV doesn't have HDMI slot so I am using AV and Component hookups. I DID hook up the cablebox to the dvd via HDMI, but I am not sure if that does anything at all. I am ready to buy an S-video cable and try to hook up the dvd to the tv that way to hopefully record the picture.

I tried using the dvr "record to vcr" option as well as simply playing the dvr recording and pressing record on the dvd. I recorded 3.5 hours of soundless pictureless media!!

I am trying to understand the process of how to record to dvd. I thought I needed to send a signal from the dvr to the dvd, but further research indicated I needed to send the signal from the dvr to the tv and PLAY the program to be recorded, then send a signal from the tv to the dvd to record the program.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 01:18 PM
Line comes in from antenna, sat, or cable box straight to the DVR, then to the TV.

I have 2 of the 48's , a DVD, and surround all hooked like that into 1 TV.

Old 01-03-09, 03:53 PM
Let's try something simple.

Connect your composite A/V output from your cable box to the composite A/V input of your Panasonic DVD Recorder.

Next connect the composite A/V output from the Panasonic DVD Recorder to the labeled "Video" input of your Sony receiver.

The video monitor output from the Sony receiver goes to video 1 input of your T.V.

The Sony receiver labeled "Video" output audio goes to audio input of your T.V. (Video 1 input - Same input where your video is).

So now the A/V flow goes as follows:
Cable shows from your Scientific receiver goes to your DVR.
The output of the DVR goes to your Sony receiver.
The output of the Sony receiver goes to your T.V.

To record a show from your Scientific receiver that may be recorded on your PVR, you have to play the PVR (real time) and record on your DVR. Once that is done, then you can create a DVD of that show from your DVR device using the menus of your DVR (See your instruction manual to record).

This is a simple method for your equipment. Other outputs could be used just for TV watching or DVR Playback.

Old 01-05-09, 07:20 AM
Even simpler: 1) I don't run any video through a A/V receiver -NO NEED.

S-video and composite(red-white) audio PVR to DVD recorder.
You may have to change tv inputs to view pvr/dvd, not sure of your wiring.

fred

Old 01-05-09, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by fewalt View Post
Even simpler: 1) I don't run any video through a A/V receiver -NO NEED.
Sorry to disagree, but there is a need if Daronson wants to use the A/V remote to control both the video inputs to the TV and the sound inputs to the receiver.

Everyone seems to have five or six remotes on the coffee table these days. If they can be consolidated by routing wires through a single device, it's one less thing we have to deal with.

Old 01-05-09, 04:59 PM
The OP DVR cable remote should be able to control cable box, TV, and Denon.

I know it won't control the Panny DVD recorder, cause I got one, the Panny is too complicated with flex recording and finalizing.

fred