Bannana clips and connectors

Old 01-12-09, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bannana clips and connectors

Hello,

I am running speaker wire in wall for my home theatre system. I purchased a full set of wall plates with bannana clip jacks that look really nice and my intention is run the wall cable to those jacks and use another cable with banana clips on each end to bridge from the wall plate to the speaker.

It now occurs to me that i am breaking the conductor in two places before it hits the speaker and that, even through I am using quality gold plated conecters, this can't help the signal.

Is this a mistake, or will will the effect be none to minimal versus running the unbroken cable from reciever to speaker.

I am using 12 AWG copper from monoprice.

Thanks for your advice.

--David

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 08:27 PM
This is one of those things that is a hot button issue with audioholics.

The perfect situation would be only one wire between the speaker and the receiver. However, if you are an "average joe" citizen like I am, the sound degradation and voltage drop will not be noticeable with a few extra connections.

You are using a good wire size which is a more important factor than that extra connection or two.

Old 01-13-09, 05:34 AM
I'm with the crabby guy. Your system will sound fine. In fact, if your system components are typical and of average cost, you probably have better connectors on your walls than those on the speakers and receiver. I'll bet the connectors on the components aren't gold plated.