Using a passive HDMI splitter?

Old 01-17-09, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using a passive HDMI splitter?

I have a cable STB that I would like to share with 2 LCD flat panel TVs, both 1080p. I would never be using both sets at the same time. The STB has only one HDMI output, so I was thinking of using a splitter like this one.

Would a passive splitter work for my application?

Thanks,
Guy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 11:43 PM
I have not used one personally..but all the passive HDMI splitters I have seen have gotten lousy ratings.

One problem is the fact that splitting the signal passively may cause enough interferance or signal drop for your monitor/dvd/cable box..etc to not show up properly if it uses HDCP protection.

You could always buy one from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and if it does not work you could return it as defective since they are really easy to work with.

I guess I should ask why do you have two seperate tvs?

Old 01-19-09, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by crabbyman View Post
I guess I should ask why do you have two seperate tvs?

I have a basement with a TV room and a seperate work-out area, also with a TV (to watch when I'm on the treadmill, so I don't lose my mind). I can only be in one room at a time, so I really only need one box. I thought if I could split the signal, I thought I could save ~$80/year on the extra cable box.

Old 01-19-09, 09:32 PM
Does your cable box have a second connection method like component outputs?

Old 01-20-09, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by crabbyman View Post
Does your cable box have a second connection method like component outputs?
Yes, component outputs.

Guy

Old 01-20-09, 08:44 PM
If possible, why not connect one tv with the HDMI and the other with component outputs. HDMI vs component is only an issue if you are dealing with 1080 signals. When you want to use the other all you should have to do is switch to a different output when you change your room.

Old 01-21-09, 12:15 PM
I did consider that, but I thought to get the full advantages of 1080p, you needed HDMI cables. Is that correct?

Old 01-21-09, 09:01 PM
Correct. (..you CAN do 1080p over component but most cable/dvd box don't support it for HDCP reasons).

If you are not overly worried..you could use component video and you can still get 1080i easily. I don't have Blu-Ray or HD programming other than the free over-the-air channels. Channel info shows 1080i when I watch sports on ABC and all I am using is regular old cable and components for DVD.

If it were me..I would hook up the one you watch the most or use as your home theater to HDMI. Connect the one in your "secondary" room to component. Most likely you will not notice a difference unless you are less than 5 feet away.

Another thing I remember about the HDMI passive switches...I remember people reporting fried electronics because they accidentally turned on a second TV or cable/dvd box and overloaded something electrically.

Parts-Express.com - Search Results

It appears they are getting better reviews now. So you might be able to get away with a switch now that the quality has increased. I recommend newegg.com or partsexpress.com if you decide to buy one. Both excellent customer service and extremely fast shipping.