New second pair of speakers

Old 01-24-09, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New second pair of speakers

Hi all, I've just added a second set of speakers to my home stereo. My wife wanted them to be as small as possible, so with my meager budget I bought the best I could afford and still be in the size range she would like. I'm finding that even with their level turn up to max they are having a little trouble being heard over the original pair. What I'd like to do is attenuate the original pair some so the stereo's level control for the second pair is in some kid of usable range. The level on the stereo display says -12db to +12db. So with it set to +12db the second set is just about OK sounding when you're sitting in the couch right next to them, otherwise all you notice is the original pair. Both sets are controlled by one volume control knob.

What is the cheapest way to do this?
What is the easiest way to do this?
What is the correct way to do this?

I found a site with what I think might be the way.

L-Pad (Driver Attenuation Circuit) Designer / Calculator

So, this would be a fixed attenuation for the original pair and the "fade" would be adjusted by the second set's level control.

I also wish to do no damage to the speakers or the stereo. I figured that I'd just solder the resistors on at the speaker end of the speaker wire and srink tube it nice. I've left out all the brand and model info so at this point, so it is just a generic conversation. If you want the specs and models I'll have to do a little looking.

So, what do you think? How do you pick a db level? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks...Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 10:07 PM
If you want any kind of informative info on this ,you need to supply all the info you can about the stereo,original speakers,the new speakers and the placement of each in the room as well as how they are currently connected.

Old 01-25-09, 01:03 AM
Is this a surround sound system or a stereo with a second set of speakers?

L-pads are not an option. They will do more harm than good.

+12 to -12 is a 24dB swing. If you have 100 watts going to the rear speakers at +12, you would have roughly 1/2 watt to the front speakers.

Something else is wrong.

Old 01-25-09, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have found an easy solution for my case. By hooking up the new speakers as the primary set and the old school original speakers as the surround, I'm able to adjust the large old sreakers relative to the new little one, instead of visa-versa (the way I had a problem). For whatever reason this arangement has a much more noticable effect.

This is a Technics SA-AX540 "AV control stereo receiver" 100W/channel, The old speakers are Criterion, 3 way, 8" woofer, 100W?, cira 1980? The new speakers are BIC 2 way, 3.5" mid/base, 1/2 tweeter, 125W. I'm using it mostly for music listening and secondarily for TV. I like the "SFC" mode set to "sim surround".

Anyway this is now producing the sound level and adjustment range I was hoping for.