Please help, problems mounting LCD to wall. Metal, horizontal studs. Odd setup

Old 01-28-09, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help, problems mounting LCD to wall. Metal, horizontal studs. Odd setup

Let me start out by listing my equipment to give a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

TV: 46" Sony KDL46V3000
Width 44.9 in-Depth 4.8 in-Height 28.9 in 70.5lbs

Mount: Sanus Systems VMPL250. It's just a fixed low profile mount that keeps the tv about 1.25" off the wall.

I'm having some real trouble trying to mount my LCD to my living room wall.

I live in a townhouse style home. My neighbor's homes are essentially attached to mine, I'm sandwiched between 2 of them. The living room wall is a firewall, on the other side is my neighbor's home. I'm sure the studs are metal and run horizontally. Also, they are about 24" apart, not 16".

I decided to make a small hole in the wall to see what is behind it because I had no idea. The drywall is thick! It's about 1.5 inches thick look:

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: img0151cm0.jpg
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: img0153zz2.jpg

Behind that first 1"+ layer I can barely fit my finger. Then there is more drywall! I read that 2 layers of drywall is common for fire protection.

I made another hole around the horizontal stud to actually be able to see it. Here's what it looks like:

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: img0157vp8.jpg
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: img0160nf9.jpg

Behind that stud is more drywall. Behind the second layer of drywall I have no idea. So what do I do? Can I attach the mount to that one horizontal stud and if so, with what?

I've read a lot about Toggler ToggleSnaps. I'm just wondering if there's enough room behind the stud for the metal part to straighten. I measured there's only half of an inch of space behind the stud and then the second layer of drywall starts.

I have no other choice as far as another wall, I can't mount on another wall with normal wood studs. If someone could help me at all with this I would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 05:52 PM
I must say I've never seen construction like you describe. My experience with steel studs to put them in vertical. If you know you are hanging cabinets or such, you put a blocker board (3/4" plywood) between the studs to strengthen and stiffen the stud.

Probably what you have are indeed vertical studs. But there are horizontal studs connected to the vertical studs to stiffen the wall for the thick drywall. This is a common building technique. It is sometimes done instead of the backer board.

If that is what you have, it makes placement of the TV easier.

Old 01-28-09, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm betting just sinking some toggle bolts directly into that thick drywall (prolly for fire code) would be enough. Hang in there, maybe someone else who has seen this before would know.

Old 01-29-09, 03:53 PM
There's no rule that says a backer board can't be on the exposed side of the wall between the drywall and mount. Use appropriate fasteners to secure it through the drywall to the studs, and maybe add a couple of heavy-duty drywall anchors or butterfiles. Cut the board small enough so it's hidden by the TV. Paint it to match the wall color.