Will neighbor's house impede line-of-sight TV signal?

Old 01-31-09, 09:24 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Will neighbor's house impede line-of-sight TV signal?

I am going to cancel basic cable TV service. My new HDTV has a built-in tuner so I can pick up free digital and some HD broadcasts. TV isn't that important to me anyway, so I would rather just use an antenna to pick up whatever I can.

I checked antennaweb.org, so I know which magnetic direction to point an outside antenna in my area. I know line of sight is important too. I found a good place to mount the antenna, but a second story house is in the way. All the TV stations in my city are about 15 miles away. If I use an antenna rated at 50 miles, will that house still impede the signal?

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The house may or may not block the signal. 15 miles isn't a lot of distance, but a large structure directly in the way could cause problems. Try an inexpensive set of rabbit ears on the HDTV antenna input. If you get the signals (even if the TV can't resolve them), you can be pretty sure a rooftop will work. It may need an amp, or rotor, or "Smart".

Also keep in mind that not all TV stations are broadcasting their digital transmissions at full power yet.