AT&T Uverse Question

Old 02-12-09, 08:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
AT&T Uverse Question

An elderly friend has cable TV from AT&T. I was surprised to see what looked like a cable modem because I know she doesn't have a computer. Closer look showed a green broadband link. Seemed odd to me. Is this how digital cable TV is done or is she being provided a service she doesn't use or need? I asked her but she didn't really know what I was talking about.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-09, 09:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is a service called IPTV.

It is delivered into the home as DSL to a gateway modem, and ethernet to the set top box.

Traditional cable TV will use coaxial cable from the street.

Old 02-13-09, 05:18 AM
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure they weren't ripping her off for something she doesn't use. So $79/m for just basic channels, no computer use is about right? Geeze never had cable and at those prices will continue to stick with my antenna.

Old 02-13-09, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Seems kind of high to me for just TV. Maybe if it includes her phone bill and equipment rental as well, it would seem more reasonable. My basic cable out here would run just $29.99 if thats all I wanted.

Might be worth asking to see her bill to see if she has things she's not using.

I guess a lot depends on location as well.

Old 02-13-09, 08:32 AM
Separate land line and separate cell from AT&T.

Old 02-13-09, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ahhh...You mean 3 seperate bills? So the $79 is just for the TV? I sure wouldn't be paying $80 for basic cable. But if I read what CS posted correctly...you have to have DSL (Internet to me) for the IPTV...even if you don't use the internet cabability?

I thought most of those could be bundled up together for savings. Maybe not...I really don't know. Out here we don't have anyone that can do more than just TV and Internet (cable co) or phone and Internet (phone co). I guess the cable people can do phone as well...but then if we lose power..we lose phone..no thanks.

Old 02-13-09, 12:02 PM
This thread triggered an ad from U-verse and I see that the price is in line with 2nd tier and she did mention she had asked for the game channel so it seems the price is right but I think she needs to ask about bundling. Thanks all for the reply.