Mounting my Plasma to my Fireplace- bolt size question

Old 02-22-09, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting my Plasma to my Fireplace- bolt size question

Hi all. I have a 32" plasma that I want to mount above my fireplace. I have the mounting equipment already but they're saying I have to drill 1/2" holes into the brick or mortar. That seems crazy. Half inch is huge. Anyone know if I can get away with smaller anchors and bolts? Suggestions as for brick vs. mortar drilling? Thanks! -Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the Forums!

Follow the manufacturers instructions. If it says 1/2", then drill 1/2". Are these toggle bolts?

How high is this TV gonna be? You don't want to be looking up to watch TV, do you?

Old 02-22-09, 06:15 PM
If you actually use the fireplace your going to have to make certain the mantle is of sufficient size as to not allow the heat to reach the tv.If it is not your tv investment will be short lived.

Old 02-22-09, 06:22 PM
The mantle is about 6 inches deep. I have the lag bolts and anchors but just thought 1'2 inch was a huge hole.

Old 02-22-09, 06:54 PM
BTW, the TV will be about 5 feet high. Is it better to go into the brick or the mortar? The brick seems to offer a larger surface area. 1/2" holes will be wider than the mortar and I gear cracking the brick whereas going straight into the brick might be safer.

Old 02-23-09, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Drill into the mortar. You run the risk of damaging the brick if it is a soft type. Also, if you ever need to remove the TV, you don't have to worry about replacing bricks, you can just fill in the mortar joint.

Old 02-24-09, 09:27 PM
But what about the fact that the mortar is at most 1/2" and I'm told to put 1/2" holes in for the mounting? I'm afraid I'll crack the brick that way. What do you think?

Old 02-25-09, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BLSSeattle View Post
But what about the fact that the mortar is at most 1/2" and I'm told to put 1/2" holes in for the mounting? I'm afraid I'll crack the brick that way. What do you think?
It will be fine. You may chip the edge a bit, but I would be surprised if the brick cracks. Start with a smaller hole (say 1/4") and work your way up.