New TV for old lady

Old 03-13-09, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New TV for old lady

I ordered a new samsung 52 " LCD TV, a Harmon-Kardon 7.1 receiver and 5.1 speakers, some cables, and a cantilever wall mount to replace my 11' DVD-TV combo. In the basement where my space is, I have materials to build a wall in front of the concrete block outside wall. I have to depend on others that do not know anything about installing or setting up the theater system to do the work...my husband and neighbor. My neighbor is experienced with electrical work. I need to know exactly what I need to purchase to get this set up. I want to hide the wires and have a clean modern look. Can you help me with what I need to know to do it. I can not seem to find anything on here that does this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-09, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I take it they will be needing to run electrical (120v) for the new wall?

You will basically cut out the hole in the walls for the 120v receptacle, and another hole next to it for the stereo wiring. You will need to "fish" the wiring down into the wall from the top plate (2x4 on its side, top of wall) and into the receptacle holes.

If you cold provide us with a sketch/drawing of the proposed setup, it would help.

You getting a permit for the wall? These things need to be done correctly to avoid moisture build up between that and the block wall.

Old 03-13-09, 04:48 PM
Thank you for your timely response. Imagine you are facing a block wall. The wall has a stud wall in front of it with nothing on it yet. The TV will me placed on the wall with a Premier expendable arm mount. Pretty straight forward. How do you protect from moisture on this wall? I currently have cable and want to hide it and the power cord behind the wall. I have a receiver and and five speakers I would also like to link with the TV. I hope to get a Playstation 3 and a Wii down the road and hook that up also. I don't know yet if my speakers come with a sub wolfer or not, but I would like to have one. I saw on Utube where one was placed in the wall behind the TV. Thanks for your help. Is this enough information?

Old 03-13-09, 08:11 PM
Run a larger conduit from the TV to the electronics location. you can run the wires as you need to after the wall is up.

For power, you will need a receptical behind the set. You cannot run its power cord inside the wall.

Since the wall is open, I'd build extra support into the wall to support the set.

Old 03-13-09, 09:22 PM
Run a larger conduit from the TV to the electronics location. you can run the wires as you need to after the wall is up.

I sincerely appreciate your reply and it is helpful, as I did not know you could not hide the power cord, and beefing is surely a good thing. The above sentence goes over my head, can you please elaborate? It is late and bedtime, maybe that is why, my brain could be well... numb.

Old 03-14-09, 08:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can get what we call 'smurf tube'. It's a plastic tube you run in the walls so you can just pull new wiring through.

And yes, it's illegal to have your TV's or any other electronics power cord running through a wall. You need a receptacle.

Old 03-14-09, 12:36 PM
Thank you for now

I appreciate all the suggestions...we are building the wall now and see how it all goes...maybe come back if we can't figure something out. How much better can it get? Nice to be able to do that!

Old 03-14-09, 05:32 PM
Quick comment: Smurf tube is for the low voltage wiring only. You can't run AC power lines in it. Also, try to keep AC wiring at least 12 inches away from the low-voltage wiring.

Old 03-14-09, 06:46 PM
Moisture barrier

Thanks again! Is putting plastic against the block wall and then faced insulation in between the 2X4's an okay moisture barrier?