RG6 coax question??/

Old 03-13-09, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RG6 coax question??/

How important is it to get quad shield coax? How important is it to get solid copper instead of copper clad?
I have a 1000' of a brand called vextra which is supposed to be pretty good stuff. It is solid copper rated at 3Ghz. It is not quad shield though. Any of you experts care to comment. I will get different if I need to.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-09, 02:36 AM
It depends on the use. Copper is generally used for long travels of baseband signals like CCTV, while copper over steel is used for broadband (cable, satellite, homes, etc).

The vextra is overkill for a home, but since you lucked into it you should be happy. Just remember to keep it at least 12 inches away from any parallel AC power runs, and to cross over 120VAC power and light fixtures at 90-degree right angles.

Old 03-14-09, 05:50 AM
Would it be better to have a quad shield though? This is not a quad shield.

Old 03-14-09, 08:02 AM
I've been installing satellite systems part time for six years and have never had the need to use quad.
Use what you have, just don't run it parralel/next to electric wires.

fred

Old 03-14-09, 09:10 AM
If for some reason some parts have to run near electrical is there anything I can do, like put conduit or something around it?

Old 03-14-09, 05:30 PM
It's not a good idea to run them parallel no matter if it's quad or not. Try to keep parallel runs at least 12 inches apart and cross AC lines at right angles. Don't run them over or near fluorescent lights.

Old 03-14-09, 06:02 PM
Oh, no problem. They won't be closer than 2-3'. Just checking.

Old 05-01-09, 01:09 AM
Rg6

Originally Posted by wendans View Post
How important is it to get quad shield coax? How important is it to get solid copper instead of copper clad?
I have a 1000' of a brand called vextra which is supposed to be pretty good stuff. It is solid copper rated at 3Ghz. It is not quad shield though. Any of you experts care to comment. I will get different if I need to.
I would always stay away from Copper Clad Steel. Although it is the cheapest it will also perfom the worst. Unless you are next to a military base or other facilities where there coould be interference you will not need Quad Shield. Stick to the solid copper is my opinion!