cable box question

Old 03-19-09, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cable box question

Can anyone tell me how this scenario would work? I want to centrally locate several pieces. First is the hd cable box. Can I run an hdmi to one tv and component to another? I need to get cable to two separate rooms. Same scenario for a bluray player.
Does the hdmi shut off the component? If so, what can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You want to have two different TV's and share one cable box? Don't think you can do that.

And no, you cannot control power from a HDMI. You will need some expensive infared remote system to control your components through walls.

What is the distance between all these locations?

Old 03-20-09, 03:51 PM
I know I will need either ir or rf to run the equipment in the other room. I am not sure what I want to get right now. I just want to know if I can hook up the hdmi and also the component. You used to be able to hook up all the component cables and run them wherever you wanted. I have not tried it as it is not my cable box but am checking for a friend. He is a quadriplegic so I offered to help him out and check for him. I have heard from some that once you hook up hdmi it shuts down the component video. I just want to know if that is true?????????? Some people say it is and some say it is not true.

Old 03-20-09, 06:10 PM
It depends on the manufacturer of the device. Some will kill the other outputs when HDMI is connected. Your only option is to go there and try it.

However, you don't need to hook up the HDMI. You can use the other outputs -- component to one TV and composite (or S-video) to the other. Contrary to popular belief, the picture quality does not suffer as much as you've heard.

As for controlling both, a quadraplegic cannot push typical remote buttons, correct? There are grants available for people with special needs to help them purchase remote-control technology. A mouth-operated touch screen comes to mind. Voice commands are another option. If you do your research you can actually help your friend start to take control of the entire house -- every light, HVAC, door lock, TV, radio, and even water faucets -- with a wireless screen.

Old 03-20-09, 06:39 PM
He can actually run a remote, telephone, calculator (all situated on a platform on his lap). He has limited use in his left arm and a little use of the hand.
Yes, I have been looking into the automation and am finding things but I am sure I am missing a heck of a lot more than I am finding.