High Def. questions

Old 03-29-09, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High Def. questions

Why are some stations picture shorter when horz.viewing,and/or the top/bottom portions of a picture are cut off? In other words i was expecting H.D on every channel to fill the screen all the time.

Seems some shows start off missing the tops/bottoms,but then quickly fill the screen in H.D.

Also, why are some channels picture sharp as a tack,but others are ragged around faces,or scenery?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not all shows are transmitted in HD. HD and digital are not the same. Most cable boxes and TV's have auto picture adjust to fill the screen, you may have to play with the settings.

Old 03-29-09, 09:07 PM
Hopefully when they finally make the switch official , they will address the problems your talking about.It's not long off when all sets sold will be 16 X 9 aspect ratio.When that happens I'm certain all programming will also be that way. But as your seeing there will be quallity difference in picture with HD the best and standard digital at the bottom.

Old 03-30-09, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

I have a new HD T.V. ,and i'm struggling to hook up a dvd/vcr,and a surround sound DVD player and in connecting
the different cables with types like S video,RCS,HDMI to the proper points i noticed picture sizes changing.

You may appreciate doing this with the concern of picture size varying from channel as i'm trying to configure everything

daswede

Old 04-03-09, 03:47 PM
Each video component you hook up will need to be told what the tv format is - 16x9 or 4x3.
You will also have to tell the component whether its 480p, 720, or 1080.
Some DVD players need to be told to output on component cables.
HD will not work with on s-vid or rca.
Even some HD will be letter boxed because it was filmed in a wider format than 16x9.
Then the TV itself will have adjustments on the format (16x9, 4x3, zoom, another zoom, etc)

Old 04-03-09, 05:07 PM
Here's a update:

I've been successfully in making all connections and get the system operating as desired.

I learned what cabling to use for the different components requirements,which was a experience.

I can now watch standard ,and digital versions and with those in H.D.

The only issue i have now is with VHS tapes that i copied to the VCR . They look mottled on playback,but tapes produced commercially are fine. I assume there is some mismatch,or incompatibility.

I think i understand this system better now,especially the different picture format sizes.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to help me

daswede

Old 04-03-09, 05:47 PM
On standard vcr's they actually only record 1/2 the video information from the source.If you copy a tape from a tape you get 1/2 of the video from that tape.Thats why dvds look so much sharper than vhs.The larger the set the more noticable the difference in video.

Old 04-03-09, 05:52 PM
That makes sense. Thanks for the information