HD tv & HD cable box

Old 04-03-09, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question HD tv & HD cable box

If you have an HD tv why do you need an HD cable box? I was going to help a friend set up her new Vizio HD tv. Right now she has a digital box. I told her she would need the HD box from Comcast. But then I couldn't give her an answer as to why she would need it. We have an HD box set up with our LG, and now I am wondering whether or not we actually need it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-09, 11:19 PM
Just as all cars are not Cadillacs, but all Cadillacs are cars ...

All HD on a cable system is digital, but not all digital on a cable system is HD.

Whether it's standrd-def (SD) or high-def (HD), the cable company encodes their content so you have to rent their box to decode it. The so-called "tier" packages they sell charge lower rates for SD than they do for HD.

If your friend has digital cable she may get all the SD channels and maybe the locals in HD, but until she pays for the HD package she won't see all of the HD content from that SD digital cable box.

Old 04-04-09, 09:57 AM
It will probably work out ok for my friend then. She just wants to be able to watch the same stuff as she did before. At this point HD means nothing to her. She is upgrading from a 1986 console tv so having a nice clear picture will make her happy, for now. She may wnt to go with the HD box later down the road.

Old 04-04-09, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
erica...depending on the size of the TV and distance from the screen..don't be surprised if she says its a worse picture than what she had before. Its really common when people get say a 42" HDTV, or larger, and are used to an old 27" that they complain about graininess and bluriness.

Old 04-04-09, 10:44 AM
She got a 37". I tried to talk her in to getting at least a 42" but she didn't go for it. Trying to explain to her the customizing that needs to be done is like talking to a rock. (She's blonde and still runs Windows 95 on her hand-me-down computer.)

Old 04-06-09, 12:35 PM
If you're not bothered about HD and not going to get it, then I don't see the point in getting anything larger than a 37" unless it is in a pretty large room.

Old 04-06-09, 05:18 PM
All said and done....she got the hd cable box. They got the tv up and running. She says the cable remote changes the channels just fine but does not adjust the volume. I just need to put in the correct code for her. thanks all.