Plasma versus LCD HDTV

Old 04-04-09, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
Plasma versus LCD HDTV

Hey there! Just want some opinions please. I know the difference between plasma and lcd, and 1080p and 720p, but what I'm asking is, is it worth the extra $$$ to get a plasma 1080? I look at them in the store and not really seeing any major differences.
Oh, and if it makes any difference, it'll be a 42" or 46" due to space limitations.
Thanks! Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-09, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personally I like the picture on a plasma better than an lcd.With my old eyes ( lol ) I can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. I have a 32" lcd in the bedroom and a 50" plasma in the living room.

Old 04-04-09, 01:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go with LCD. Plasma's will soon be out of the market with the way LCD is taking over.

Old 04-04-09, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Go with LCD. Plasma's will soon be out of the market with the way LCD is taking over.
And to add to this:

Call around your town to find someone who repairs Plasmas!!!!

fred

Old 04-04-09, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the tips! I guess I'll be getting an LCD then.
Craftsman, I couldn't see the difference between the 1080 and 720 either, so that won't be too much of a factor.

Old 04-04-09, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Thanks for the tips! I guess I'll be getting an LCD then.
Craftsman, I couldn't see the difference between the 1080 and 720 either, so that won't be too much of a factor.
Oh, and one more very important item:

If you watch any fast action sports - get an LCD with a 120Hz refresh rate.
You'll pay a bit more, but it's well worth it!!!

fred

Old 04-05-09, 12:12 AM
If it was a 60-inch I would suggest the plasma. But at 42 or 46 I would go with the LCD with a 120Hz refresh rate, as Fred suggested.

720p or 1080i? A TV will convert the source format to the TV's own native format, so there really isn't much visible difference between 720p and 1080i. All cable, satellite, and over-the-air content is either 720p or 1080i. FOX, ABC, and ESPN are 720p, while CBS and NBC are 1080i.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll be jacking a computer into one of the VGA spigots on your new TV. IMHO, a native 720p TV seems to convert computer images better than a native 1080i TV.

When you're comparing prices, remember that the scan converter that allows the TV to display pristine computer images adds quite a bit to the cost. Cheaper models will display those images with blurry text.

Take a laptop and a VGA cable with you when you shop and ask the salesman to connect it to the TV's in which you're interested. You'll see a dramatic difference between the most and least expensive TVs.

If connecting a computer is unimportant to you, go with a basic 720p LCD @ 120 Hz.

Old 04-05-09, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks again guys! Never thought about the refresh rate and we watch Hockey but I won't be hooking up a computer to it. At least now I know what to look for.

Old 04-05-09, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hey, don't dismiss the idea of hooking up a computer to your TV.

If you own or ever will own a laptop most of them come with a VGA connector and if you take any amount of digital pictures they look awesome on a large TV.
We have our tube type high def tv connected to our computer and the pictures look fine but it is difficult to read the text on the screen.

This whole electronic gadget thing is pretty sad.
Our old 28" tv lasted eight years and because of the kids was on pretty much every minute someone was in the house and still works in an upstairs bedroom.
Our current one is three years old, the remote function in the tv is shot and we are hoping it dies soon.

Old 04-05-09, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Greg, funny you should mention that, since I'm in the market for a laptop, too! The computer's I have now, will be no where near the new TV, so never thought about the laptop (that I don't have yet either, LOL)
Glad I asked about this or who knows what I would have bought.

Old 04-05-09, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Ya, I pretty much had this one picked out but decided that a camera lens for birding made more sense right now.
I'll spend the summer taking pics and then buy a laptop next fall for working on the summer's images.

Old 04-06-09, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, fancy pants, Greg! Actually the one I was looking at was much less but good enough for what I need it for. Problem is, the week I spent thinking about whether to get it or not, it sold out! I'll wait for another deal. The TV comes first.

Old 04-06-09, 05:32 PM
This will seem like spam, but it's a testimonial. I have a late-model Toshiba laptop. I bought a Dell Vostro for my wife on her birthday. The Toshiba runs on the edge of heat shutdown and has been a chore to maintain. All of the craplets that come preinstalled with it are active. They drive you nuts with their incessant commercials and bog it down & overwork the CPU. The Vostro was $200 cheaper ($500) and worked right out of the box with a minimum of craplets.

She can use hers on her lap. I have to use mine on a solid surface or it gets too hot and shuts down.

Old 04-06-09, 07:21 PM
Rick, I have a vostro too and love it, I replaced a toshiba with the vostro. It was the lack of craplets that convinced me to buy it.

As for the OP. I read an article about power vampires, or electronics that use a ton of electricity in the standby or off mode but are not unplugged. A plasma TV would cost over $100 a year in electricity in the standby mode!

I would look into the electricity costs for a plasma vs. LCD.

Old 04-07-09, 12:13 AM
Well, I think it will do you no harm if you check out the LCD TV ratings of various brands. I believe the expert reviews will be of great help in getting info about certain items.

Old 04-07-09, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
Seems decent.

Even got a YouTube video of it:

YouTube - Samsung FP-T5094W 50" Plasma Wireless TV

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 04-18-09 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zion21 View Post
I would go with an LCD tv not just because it has a much greater overall lifetime, but because LCD tvs also use much less power and produce a picture just as good
I agree with you on the power consumption issue, although some plasmas have made improvements in that regard. But I'm confused about your statement that LCD's have a much greater overall lifetime than plasmas. From what I remember, Panasonic is now rating their plasma panels at 100,000 hours until half brightness. I remember reading a while back where Sharp was rating their LCD fluorscent light source at 60,000 hours. Have LCD's improved that dramatically to where they last longer than the 100,000 hours that Panasonic plasmas are rated for?

Old 04-16-09, 04:28 PM
Beach, that poster you quoted was a spammer. He had hidden links embedded in his "smilies."

Old 04-16-09, 04:31 PM
60,000 hours is eight years of 24/7 use. Divide by four for the average family's 6-hours per day. The LCD should last 30 years.

(Yeah, right! We're all lucky if it lasts for three!))

Old 05-28-09, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Hey there! Just want some opinions please. I know the difference between plasma and lcd, and 1080p and 720p, but what I'm asking is, is it worth the extra $$$ to get a plasma 1080? I look at them in the store and not really seeing any major differences.
Oh, and if it makes any difference, it'll be a 42" or 46" due to space limitations.
Thanks!
Well with a 42" I doubt you will actually notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. However, with tv's so cheap it may be worth it to spend an extra $50 or so to get the 1080. It just comes down to how much you want to spend, its going to look nice regardless.