Help connecting a dvd entertainment, cable box and tv

Old 04-17-09, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help connecting a dvd entertainment, cable box and tv

I have a Sony Home Theatre system that I would like to connect in order to play dvd's on as well as view my digital cable through my tv that only has a coaxial connection on the back (note: no av connections available). The tv was purchased about 5 years ago or so. I have read the forum from Dawter and tried to follow it, however the cable box does not work and my tv has now returned to basic antenna view. How can I get the components to work together? I have a modulator and a switch. Please help, this is truly boggling me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-09, 05:18 AM
Welcome to the forums.

It would help if you post the make & model numbers of all the components.

Generally though, the incoming cable attaches to the cable box. The output of the cable box connects to the TV. Because the cable box output is on only one channel (usually 3 or 4), the TV must be set to that channel. The channels are changed using the cable box remote.

If the DVD player has a cable output you don't need the modulator. All you need is the switch. Connect the output of the cable box to A and the DVD to B. Connect the switch output to the TV. Again, the TV must be set to a specific channel.

If the DVD player doesn't have a cable output, connect it to the modulator using the Yellow, Red & White RCA connectors. Connect the modulator's output to Switch B. If the modulator has only one audio connector, use the white (left) RCA output from the DVD. Don't use a Y cord to connect the audio.

Old 04-18-09, 10:30 AM
The dvd player doesn't have a coaxial connection, I did what you said and it still doesn't work, however, I would like to have the surround sound to come through the dvd player at all times, is that available?

Old 04-18-09, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please give us the component brand and model #'s please.

Old 04-18-09, 08:39 PM
TV: Orion tv2521
Theatre/DVD : Sony DAV-HDZ235
Cable Box: Motorola DCH70
Would also like to connect an XBOX 360 if possible? but not that important right now.

Old 04-19-09, 08:55 PM
The easy way would be to get an a/v switching device that can handle all the inputs to the tv you want.You can get one that inputs A/V and outputs to tv on channel 3 or 4 and is able to swich inputs .You can get them at the big box stores.

Old 04-20-09, 09:49 AM
Craftsman,
I already have an a/v switch and an rf modulator purchased from Radio Shack, but am having a difficult time figuring out which cables go into what input in order to switch the outgoing images to the tv from dvd to cable. I have tried multiple combinations, but still haven't found the right one.

Also the modulator information says that the light will turn green when all are connected properly, however still have not seen such results.

Old 04-20-09, 05:28 PM
That's why I sugested getting a new one with everything you need to hook up to it.Just hook up all yor components to the one switch using thier a/v connections and viola! your ready to go.You can even get one remte controlled.You can go cheap with one of these.... DAVSEL41 ...then hook the output to your modulater to your tv set.

Old 04-20-09, 09:41 PM
What big box can i go to? I've checked online at fry's, bestbuy and amazon? Or should I just order it online?

Old 04-21-09, 06:24 AM
I found this one at Cables-To-Go.

Old 04-22-09, 04:57 AM
Here's the link to Craftsman's suggestion.

Old 04-30-09, 08:25 PM
It doesn't seem to have a coaxial cable connection and neither does my Phillips PH61150, so how do I connect all four components when my tv only has a coaxial line?

Old 04-30-09, 10:14 PM
please reread the posts.your question has been answered.

Originally Posted by craftsman_50 View Post
That's why I sugested getting a new one with everything you need to hook up to it.Just hook up all yor components to the one switch using thier a/v connections and viola! your ready to go.You can even get one remte controlled.You can go cheap with one of these.... DAVSEL41 ...then hook the output to your modulater to your tv set.

Old 05-04-09, 09:25 PM
All right hooked everything up , but nothing works. Input 2 and 4 seem to work through the cable box only.

Old 05-08-09, 10:22 AM
Angry

This is how I have everything plugged in:

input 1- Cable Box,
inout 2- home theatre system,
input 3- xbox,
and output is of course the rf modulator.

Now the situation is that I get sound but no picture when a dvd is in the theatre system, however am unable to utilize the theatre system for sound when only watching tv through the cable box. Have yet to figure out if the Xbox 360 even works. Have I plugged everything in correctly, or is there some other format that I need to follow?

THIS IS TRULY BECOMING A NUISANCE!!

Old 05-08-09, 06:52 PM
Sounds as if your not using the correct video connections.Follow the color codes !

Old 05-08-09, 07:50 PM
TechNO,

Just a suggestion, but try startiing simple, and then adding parts once you have things working. Start simple, then add complexity.

1. For now, don't use the switch. Connect the DVD player to the modulator, then connect the modulator to the TV. Start a movie and set the TV on channel 3 or 4 (match the modulator.) Do you get picture/sound?

If no, then this is where you need to start troubleshooting. First, double check all your connections. Make sure you're using "Video Out" on the DVD player. Does the modulator have/need a power brick/adapter? Are you connecting the DVD player's cables to "Video In" on the modulator? Is the TV connected to the modulator's "TV Out" or "Out"? Is ithe power brick plugged in? Try another cable from the modulator to the TV. If this still doesn't work, can you try the DVD player on another TV or at a neighbor's house? (Make sure to use the same cables!)

2. If yes, then disconnect the DVD player from the modulator. Now, connect the DVD player to the switch's input, then the modulator to the switch's output. Set the switch for the DVD player and start the movie. Do you have picture/sound?

Since the DVD player worked, the modulator worked, and the TV had picture, everything should work. If not, double check your connections. An "Out" should connect to an "IN." Does the switch need batteries or a power adapter? Is it plugged in? Try another set of cables between the modulator and switch.

3. Connect your cable box to another of the switch's inputs. Set the switch for cable. Do you have picture/sound?

If not, double check the connections. Try another cable between the cable box and switch.

4. Add the XBox and test. Add any other inputs.

I hope this helped. Good Luck!