HDMI splitters and cable distance

Old 05-02-09, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HDMI splitters and cable distance

I have Dish sattelite HD receiver that is connected to a Samsung 52 inch TV right next to it via an HDMI cable. I would like to connect another TV to get the same signal at the same time, but it will require a 50 foot HDMI cable. I have looked at some HDMI powered splitters, but the maximum distance indicated is 15 meters. This is only a few inches shy of the 50 Feet. Will this splitter work adequately? What splitter would you recommend? Should I use another methodology such as the component output of the Dish to the other HD TV?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 09:49 AM
1080p is iffy at that distance, but 720p and 1080i should be okay. A top-quality cable will cost over $200.

You don't lose much quality, if any, by using the component outputs. An RCA component cable and an RCA stereo audio cable together will cost less than a 50-foot HDMI and active splitter.

Old 05-03-09, 01:48 PM
The second TV is for an opening in the cabinet area of the Kitchen (21" wide by 19.75" high). I want the largest picture area that I can have. So far, this seems to be available only as a computer monitor of 24 to 25" rather than a "TV" which range from 22" to 26". Both the TV's and these monitors all seem to be 720p. However, these monitors, although reviewed to work well as an HDTV have only an ATSC tuner. I will be feeding additional input over coax to this tv. Some of it is from the satallite, and some from an antenna. Will having only this ATSC tuner be a problem? If it is, will be problem go away after June when all goes digital?