What happened to dlptvs

Old 05-15-09, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What happened to dlptvs

I cant find any dlp tvs in stores anymore. Is there something wrong or defective with them. I know older ones had a bulb that was absurdly expensive to replace. Is there something wrong with LED ones. Seems like they where HUGE and much cheaper than plasma or LCD tvs.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-09, 10:08 PM
DLPs are still around but LCDs and plasmas sell better, so store space is dedicated to them.

DLP projectors are excellent, but I don't think I'd buy a DLP TV. Because it's rear-projection it will never be as crisp as its competitors. Off-axis viewing is also a major issue.

Old 05-16-09, 11:58 PM
i have a new mitsubishi 65" dlp. the picture is AWESOME !!! mitsu just came out with a 82" :WOW:
bulbs are kinda cheap now, $100ish.

"typical" consumers are "hung up" on the "hang it on the wall" thing. and/or they don't want a set that is large.

Old 05-17-09, 12:51 AM
A friend has a 60-inch DLP. If you sit directly in front of it the picture is impressive, but if you happen to get there late for the game and have to sit off to one side, you're constantly leaning in toward the center of the screen.

Condo-owner, just how big is your condo?

Old 06-15-09, 08:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dlp

Samsung makes a 61" and 67" LED/DLP . I have the 61" LED/DLP. All big screen Tv's have trade off's. The Samsung LED/DLP is bang for the buck. I bought mine at BestBuy.

Old 06-24-09, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
A friend has a 60-inch DLP. If you sit directly in front of it the picture is impressive, but if you happen to get there late for the game and have to sit off to one side, you're constantly leaning in toward the center of the screen.

Condo-owner, just how big is your condo?

i will have to check my off axis picture quality. but, iirc, it is not bad at all. its just like surround systems. if your not in the "sweet spot", performance drops off. its the nature of the beast. can't please everyone all the time.
anyway. DLP is massive bang for buck.

my HT room (living room) is 12x19x8'. i sit 10' from dlp.
i am on the HT forums. are you ?
after i finish my master bath rebuild. i am going to seriously look into a projector. about 100" anamorphic/ CIH aut to do it

Old 07-04-09, 08:12 PM
ok. i check my off axis. yeap, its not the greatest.
but i don't care. I have the' sweet spot

panasonic PT-AE3000U Projector is what i am looking at.

Old 07-05-09, 07:01 AM
One thing to look out for in a projector is the cost of lamp replacement versus lamp hours. The newest 3,000 - 4,000 lumens-class projectors claim up to 3,000 hours with replacements costs around $350. Some are down at 1,500 hours, while others cost up to $700 for a lamp.

Also, never buy a spare lamp until you need one, and never buy from a cheapo 3rd-party discount dealer. They have a shelf life and the clock starts ticking when they're manufactured. The cheapos are older lamps that are dumped on the market by the manufacturers.

Old 07-07-09, 06:01 PM
yep, know about that stuff. my HT is not used for tv watchin. just 1 movie a week, sometimes 2. so i am not to worried about lamp life. but thanx for the info