Cable connector came off of the TV

Old 06-07-09, 05:14 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

When trying to move a television set without removing the cable connection ( Stupid, I agree ) the connector on the back of the television came off. I cannot sort out how to re-connect it. It is about an inch and a half long. The longest part is the part that the cable connects to.
Anybody have a clue as to reconnecting this ?
I may need to go a TV pro to get it done. I'm wondering how much something like this would cost to fix ?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-07-09, 08:30 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you pulled the 'end' off of the coax. Odds are, you are going to need a new end. They are crimped onto the wire, so reattaching them 'used' is not generally successful.

Worth a try though..

If you look into the end of your coax, you should see a single solid wire in the center, surrounded by white insulating material, which is surrounded by a shield (usually fine threaded wires or solid aluminum), and finally that is surrounded by the plastic casing. Spread the shield 'wires' out around the outside of the outer plastic. They should lay flat pulled out of the way like that. You should be left now with a little bit of the white insulator showing, with the central conductor pointing out nice and straight.
Unscrew the 'end' from the tv, and try fitting it back onto the coax. Watch that the core wire and white insulation fit into the central hole of the 'end'. Once the outer plastic with the shield layed back on it bumps up against the housing of the 'end'.. you're there. The center conductor should be now sticking out from the 'end' by 1/8" or so.

If the 'end' is too crimped to fit back onto the coax, then you need a new end.. or a new cable. Does the cable come from a wall jack ? You should be able to find a new cable section from just about any hardware etc store. I dont recommend the 'dollar store' cables.. they seem to be hit and miss for quality.

Old 06-08-09, 04:09 AM
W

Thanks for your response. Actually what came off the TV is the post that the coxial cable connects to. It does not look like it screws into the TV. That's where I'm lost as to how to reconnect it

Old 06-08-09, 04:03 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ahh.. a little more serious indeed.

That might be part of an circuit board, or an I/O plate. What is remaining on the tv now, just a hole ? Is there plastic bits still attached to the coax connector on the end of your coax ?
By chance, does your tv also have antenna 'screws' in that same area (might say something like "300 ohm" or "ant" or VHF ) ? There are cheap adapters ($5 ?) that can convert the 75ohm coax signal to 300ohm and provide the screw wire connections.
Or, if you have line-level inputs, you can use something like a VCR to provide the coax termination, and use the VCR's tuner instead (and your tv would just stay on 'line in' all the time).

Old 06-08-09, 05:31 PM
W
Thanks Dave
I took the TV to a pro. He said it was a simple fix for $90.00. I said screw it junk the thing it was a 1996 model heavy as hell to carry.
He said he will dispose of it for me which means he will fix that one and only problem and sell it.'It wasn't worth the hassle of hauling the thing around. A 27 inch TV today weighs about 20 ponds which is more my speed. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: