My home is where DVRs go to die

Old 06-14-09, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My home is where DVRs go to die

HELP! I have lived in my home for seven months. We have had Comcast service for cable, internet, and phone. In the seven months I have gone through FIVE DVRs. The first four were the digital DVRs (not HD). Things would be fine for a while, but I would have different problems. They would say they were recording and then not. Or, they would say that the recording space was 100% full when nothing had been saved. The last box we had all of a sudden stopped sending a signal to the TV from the co-ax cable, it would work with the RCA outputs. I cannot tell if I was just getting bad boxes from Comcast, or if something in my house is killing them.

On Friday, after or latest digital DVR decided that it wasn't working we upgraded to HD DVR. I made sure everything was working before the tech left, except the DVR function Today, I recorded two programs. When I went to watch them on the DVR, the box went from saying that it was 0% full to 7% full, but nothing showed up as a recording! Also, while I was recording one thing and watching another program, my signal would "hiccup." Every 30 second to a minute the screen would become pixelated and the sound would cut out. Then it would go back to normal.

I am tired of having technicians come out to my house. Something is obviously going on here. We aren't doing anything to the boxes, AND every time I have a tech out, they check the signal strength, every time it shows as being fine. WTF is going on here? I shouldn't be going through boxes like this!

My current box is a Motorola, dual tuner, I'm not sure of the model number and honestly, I forget the model of the previous box.

What should my next technician look for? Is there something we are missing? BTW, all of our electrical equipment are on surge protectors and we had an electrician look at our outlets a few months back, he upgraded our plugs so they are no longer "stab ins."

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 09:59 PM
It sounds like your getting a bunch of bad boxes.Make certain the tech runs the next box through all of its functions before the leave.

Old 06-17-09, 08:49 AM
Thank you for answering. I had two technicians out for a little over an hour. They went to the cable box out in the yard, followed the cable to make sure it wasn't damaged, and re-routed some things. Plus, I received a new box. We'll see how long it lasts, but knock on wood, it is working now.

Old 06-17-09, 04:26 PM
Get a UPS. That is the best thing you can do for a DVR.