Coaxial to HDMI connection...

Old 06-16-09, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Coaxial to HDMI connection...

Hi guys... I'm 'McGyvering' my way through an HDTV extension project but I've hit one good snag,,,

I've got a nice screened-in deck that's about 20ft away from my main cable tv setup... I'd like to run a regular coaxial cable (off a signal splitter behind my main tv) out under the floor and into the wall of the deck. There I'd like to install a HDMI outlet where I can plug in my 21" computer monitor and use it as a dumb clone to watch some night games outside on the deck this summer...

The snag is how do I get the tv signal from a regular coaxial wire into the HDMI plug? The computer monitor only has HDMI, DVI-D or VGA inputs (no coaxial input) so I guess DVI-D or VGA connects would work as well, but HDMI seems to be the best solution out there... any help would be, helpful...
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-09, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hdmi

Go to ******specializes in video and audio converters. ****** is a real eye opener. Also check out tigerdirect.com

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-01-09 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Removed website.
Old 06-17-09, 05:40 AM
You'll need to two-step the process with (1) a tuner that converts RF to composite, S-video or component, then (2) a scaler or converter that changes one of the three to HDMI or VGA. The first can be solved by buying a VCR or DVD with a tuner in it.

The second can get expensive in a hurry. Cheapest solution I found (for my brother's boat) is this converter.

Here's a snag with the above product: It only works if it has a computer attached to its VGA input.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 07-03-09 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Add last line
Old 07-05-09, 12:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Convert

There is a web site that specializes in all kinds of video and audio converters from the most common to the real strange conversions. It is ramelectronics.net