Old Sony Radio Repair c. 1978

Old 07-08-09, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Old Sony Radio Repair c. 1978

I have an old sony model # ICF-9650W. It works fine except for the volume control. I cannot get the volume to go very loud. I can turn the dial but when I do I hear a really loud staticky sound.

I am looking to repair it but I am not sure what part(s) to try and replace. (i.e. speaker, volume control, etc, etc).

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-09, 09:59 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could try spraying the volume control with tuner cleaner. (Do they still sell tuner cleaner?) You could try replacing the volume control (AKA potentiometer, pot) You might have to buy a Sam's diagram to get the correct value.

Old 07-08-09, 12:04 PM
Smile Old Sony Radio Repair c. 1978

I'll try your first suggestion since it's might be the cheapest option.

Re: replacing the pot...can't I just open the radio up and look at some part # on the existing pot# and buy a compatible replacement from radioshack?

I paid $10 for this radio and do not want to spend more than I paid for to repair.

Thanks.

Old 07-08-09, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ouch...a can of spray contact cleaner is gonna run $10 at Radio Shack.

You might try just turning the control back and forth from low to high about 50 times (with power off) before you spend any money.

If that doesn't help, take it apart to expose the volume control and take it to an electronics repair shop and ask for a bit of help with a shot of cleaner.

If it doesn't help, then I'd say junk it and start checking thrift stores for a cheap replacement. I don't think you could buy any sort of quality radio for less than $10 new.

Old 07-09-09, 08:33 PM
I sprayed tuner/contact cleaner and the crackling/static noise has gone away.

I was hoping that would make the volume go louder but it's still very low. Is this something that can be fixed or is it just part of the radio design?

Can the speaker be replaced with a higher watt rating?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-09, 04:04 AM
The speaker can be replaced, but that's not going to make it any louder. The power amplifier section is what powers the speaker.

Does this radio play at a comfortable listening level? It was never designed to be anything more than a small countertop radio.

Old 07-10-09, 05:56 AM
I virtually have to place my ear next to the speaker to really hear what's going on. I also notice a bakground hum.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-09, 05:27 AM
Make sure the volume pot doesn't have an open by shorting any two of the three connections on the pot. Use a small piece of wire, alligator clip leads, or even a paper clip. If the volume suddenly jumps to full-on the pot is bad.

Be very careful poking around inside it. There is potentially deadly voltage in the power supply section.

If you have basic soldering skills you can touch-up all of the solder joints. Solder joints can become "cold" over time, which means they aren't making good contact. (Unplug the radio when you do this.)

Old 07-11-09, 08:46 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I also notice a bakground hum.
Could be a filter capacitor or even choke going bad depending on how loud the hum is.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-11-09 at 09:03 AM.