Color goes in and out

Old 07-12-09, 08:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Color goes in and out

I have a 27" standard type (non flat panel) tv in my workshop. It's about 5 years old and plays fine except the color has started to randomly go in and out. When it goes out, everything looks green (flesh tones), blue or gray. Is there a way to fix this that is fairly simple and inexpensive? I'd prefer not to fork out $300-500 for a new similarly sized new HD Flat panel just to occasionaly watch the ball game or race, when I'm tinkering out there in the shop!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 09:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Once every six or seven months the color just goes totally "wonky" on mine. Set was only a few months old the first time and I thought.... well better not write that here. Then I remembered a quick fix I had read about. I unplugged the TV (must be unplugged not just turned off). Punched every control button to drain any built up charges in capacitors. Let set for fifteen minutes and plugged it back in all was fine. The explanation of the cause and why this works is static charges build up and cause the problem. Can't say for sure but even successfully used the technique on a microwave oven with malfunctioning electronic controls.

Original article actually was on getting a remote control to work. Said remove batteries and punch all buttons. From replies I read that worked so I just expanded the idea with my TV fix.

Old 07-12-09, 12:22 PM
R
Dust inside any electronic device can cause problems. Try cleaning it out, but make sure it is unplugged. Remember that capacitors will keep a charge so be careful.

If it stays one color all the time (say green), then it may be that a screen in the tube itself is shot.

Old 07-13-09, 03:21 AM
J
Hey guys, did what you suggested, cleaned out the dust and did the remote discharge thing and it seems to have worked! Will see for sure after a few days, as it has worked okay for a couple days in the past them acted up again.

Old 07-14-09, 03:22 AM
J
Well I guess I spoke too soon. It started doing it again! Now the coior is out when you first turn on the set, then comes in after about 20-30 minutes and seems to stay on (at least the couple hours that I had it on after that). Any more ideas?

Old 07-14-09, 05:17 AM
C
Post the make and model #.

Old 07-14-09, 02:34 PM
J
It's a Symphonic model #WF2703.

Old 07-14-09, 03:49 PM
C
Bad solder connections would be my best guess on this set.Unless your good at recognizing them it's to the shop time.