Connection responsibilities for Dish Network

Old 07-15-09, 09:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Connection responsibilities for Dish Network

I have run two RG6Quad cables and two Cat 5E to four rooms. The video cables are terminated in the rooms but are not in the distribution room. I've also provided a 1" PVC pipe with pull line from the distribution room to the North end of the home where the Dish will have to be. What I want to know is what I am supposed to have done in the distribution room prior to the Dish Network installers arrival? Do I just leave the RG6Q cables labeled and bare? Or, are they supposed to be already F connector crimped and possibly on some sort of routing board? I'm new to structural wiring so please keep answers as close to layman as possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-09, 01:49 AM
R
If you used hex crimp RG connectors for the Dish receiver cables the installers will probably hack them off and replace them with round compression connectors. (They carry the high frequency signals better than hex crimps.) Let them do the terminations in your distribution room too. They'll also want a phone drop at the location of each receiver.

They'll run the RG cable(s) from the dish through the exterior wall to the receiver(s). If you want to be sure it's a clean, weathertight penetration, you might consider drilling your own and adding a box to the exterior. Watch them when they route that cable. They guys who did mine wanted to lay the cable in the gutter.

Old 07-16-09, 10:23 AM
M
Lucky me

Rick: I used compression connectors. You say they will drill through wall. I say over my dead body. That is why I've gone to the trouble to route all the wires inside the walls from the distribution room and provided the 1" PVC with pull wire from the distribution room to outside the home. This was not an easy project because it is a new manufactured home with the extra $5.5K energy saving package. There are places under the home where the membrane holding the insulation up is 20" below the floor above and it is full of that treated paper insulation that puffs out (I wear contact lenses) the hole you made from above while the wire is being fed through. It wasn't fun. I should have said the four cables were run to each room. I know about the phone jack requirement and a live phone service keystone will be at each wall plate with the two RG6 keystones before I call the Dish guy. Thank you for taking time to answer. I tried to contact Dish to ask via email but they won't let me send an email without first providing an account number or phone number already registered with an account.

Old 07-17-09, 07:22 PM
If your primary receiver is a twin tuner DVR, you won't need a phone connection to that receiver.
Unless you want PPV capabilities.

fred

Old 07-18-09, 12:20 AM
R
True, but the installers require it for the installation. After they leave you can disconnect it. All it does is phone home when you order pay-per-view, which you can also do on the website.

Old 07-18-09, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
True, but the installers require it for the installation. After they leave you can disconnect it. All it does is phone home when you order pay-per-view, which you can also do on the website.
Not exactly Rick.
I'm a contract installer. The phone line connection is not required for my above example. But PPV for internet and standard phone call to Dish is $1 more.

fred

Old 07-18-09, 07:49 AM
R
I stand corrected, and was misinformed by the installers who did my home. Thank you.

Old 07-18-09, 11:42 AM
No Problem Rick,

It was recently changed, prolly last quarter.

fred