How di I use an MP3 on my home stereo?

Old 12-05-09, 12:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How di I use an MP3 on my home stereo?

I have an old reciever with no MP3 inputs and I want to hook up my MP3 to the receiver. Any ideas? I tried two FM transmitters and neither worked due to the crowded FM dial in the NY area.

Thanks in advance.

Dan NJ

Old 12-06-09, 01:20 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Connect the MP3 player to the Aux or Tape In of the stereo using the proper cable.

A typical MP3 player's cable will have a 3.5mm plug at one end and two RCA plugs at the other end. Some tiny MP3 players use 2.5mm plugs instead of 3.5mm.

Photo courtesy cablesdirect.com

Old 12-06-09, 07:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If your home stereo is of decent quality, you may be disappointed with this - the compression involved in turning a .wav file into an mp3 can make a dramatic difference in the quality of the playback. It's not something you typically notice with headphones on but do when you're using quality equipment.

Go for it, I just don't want you to be overly disappointed.

Old 12-06-09, 10:25 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I find that bad sound from an MP3 player is due more to wrong settings than the bitrate of the music file. "Spatial" on a pair of ear buds may sound great, but the same setting when the player is plugged into the stereo sounds ridiculous. Make sure the player is set to "Flat".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: