Does Your Satellite Dish Clog With Snow?

Old 12-08-09, 03:46 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does Your Satellite Dish Clog With Snow?

We live in S. AZ at 5400'. Here our DirecTV HD dish sets at 48 and is pointed in the direction most of our storms come from.
I had noted that the snow gathering on the reflector (the dish) was causing it not to reflect the signal up to the horns for the receiver to process.
In the past I kept my car wash hose on a bib in the garage and just stepped outside in the the snow storms every few hours to spray the snow and ice off but that's a real pain.
I thought about trying to apply some heat tape like plumbing uses in cold climates and then someone ask me if the dish is ferrous metal and I found it was. They suggested an automotive magnetic block heater so I researched them a little.
I also noted that just about the mounting bracket for the dish there is a nice wide flat spot right in the center of the dish to use that magnetic heater.
This is what I bought~ Amazon.com: Kats 1153 Handi-Heat 200 Watt Magnetic Heater: Automotive
I will trail a cord down to the outdoor outlet and when it ices up I will just plug it in. I suspect the thin palting of the dish will thaw very quickly and completely using this heater and therefore keep me from grabbing that hose again in a snow storm.
You may wish to give it a try where you live.

Old 12-08-09, 04:35 PM
R
You can also buy a can of PAM spray cooking oil and give it a coat every now & then.

If snow still collects near the bottom, buy a dish cover and spray that with PAM.

Old 12-08-09, 06:32 PM
K
Sleet will stick to almost any surface when the surface is at 48. And that's the problem.
You could spray it will silicone and it would not matter. Water will still form on it and it will freeze in the right conditions and then the snow and sleet has a foothold.
I have owned satellite dishes now for over 15 years and been in some pretty cold climates and dealt with this problem before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: