TV/VCR repair

Old 11-18-99, 02:44 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a GE TV/VCR combo (2 to 3 years old) with a vcr that breaks down every six months. If I repair it professionally, it will cost me $80 and this will be the second I have had
to get it repaired. I don't trust repair schools and would prefer to fix it myself for free if at all possible. I don't know what is wrong with it. The TV works great but the VCR
only plays with no picture, just sound. HELP!

Old 11-18-99, 02:45 PM
Visiting Guest
There's nothing wrong with being frugal, but there are very few repairs that can be made by someone without test equipment and a thorough working knowledge of the equipment.
Call a pro.

Old 11-18-99, 02:47 PM
Visiting Guest
The symptoms you are giving is very much like a dirty video head., If you use a lot of rental tapes then you get everyone elses vcr crud in your machine. I would suggest a dry head cleaning type tape, Scotch makes them , about $10.
If the head is really dirty you may have to disassemble the machine and "scrub " the video head drum with a head cleaning swab(Radio Shack) and head cleaning solvent(alcohol). You might also try a wet type head cleaning tape. Sometimes a brand new Video tape of High Quality(blank) will scrub the head chips clean.
Good Luck,

Skip

Old 11-18-99, 02:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Be careful if you elect to clean those heads manually yourself with a tech wipe and alcohol. There are very fine wire windings around those heads, and if snagged while cleaning - then they're trashed. If cleaning doesn't work, and you have soldering skills, then you can get a replacement upper head drum assembly from MCM, or the like for probably $20-30.00. There are no eccentricity adjustments on most consumer models.

Old 11-18-99, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
well, #s 3&4 have given extremely wise advice. having about 7 years experience professionaly as a vcr tech, it sound to me like dirty video heads, maybe the ribbon cable going to the head amp, but very unlikley. i do agree though, that to put money into a tv/vcr combo is not a practical
idea, your better off with two seperate pieces of poor quality then one good? quality combo unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: