TV repair?

Old 12-06-99, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest

My 8 yr old 36 inch tv keeps coming in with the horiz/vert lines so I can't get the picture. The two buttons in the back won't steady them...what can I do.
Also, the closed caption is a little blury...how can I fix this?

Old 12-08-99, 08:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

The problem with your television set is related to the high voltage circuit (25-45,000 volts). It has to maintain the voltage within a given parameter (set by the manufacturer). If the voltage exceeds the set parameters, a protective circuit kicks in that eliminates the synchronization to the horizontal and/or vertical circuits. It is designed to be annoying so that you turn off the television set. The excessive high voltage is caused by a separate circuit failure and you would not know it until the television set causes a fire. The out of focus condition you related is an offshoot of the high voltage problem. A portion of the high voltage (about 4000 volts) is used to focus the picture electrically. If the high voltage is out of whack, so is the focus voltage.
Bottom line: The set needs to be in the shop or being replaced. If you continue to run it, there is a danger of fire.

Dann B.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: