Lost channels on DSS

Old 06-05-00, 12:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a DSS dish with Dirct TV servcie. This weekend, channels 204-299 went a.w.o.l.
The only thing we can pick up b/t these channels are the Direct TV Promo stations (order WNBA here; DirectTV Info, etc). Customer Service at Direct TV was no help at all... any suggestions? I really don't want to have to buy a new receiver...

Old 06-05-00, 01:44 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Evening amys99:

I don't think you have a problem. It sounds like one channel amplifier on the satellite went AWOL. I used to build space satellites and built several communications satellites (for RCA Astro Space Center).

Before I started tearing down the system, I would advise a call to the company on their 800 number and check on the service of these missing channels.

Smokey

Old 06-07-00, 08:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

SMOKEY:

A call to DSS solved nothing.. according to them, everything is a-ok. Their tech advisors told me to unplug the receiver, wait 5 minutes and try again.. no change. Any other ideas???

Old 06-07-00, 09:18 AM
Visiting Guest
amys99, if this probelm is still persisting you will need to call their customer support again. It sounds to me like the "smart card" in the receiver does not think you are authorized for those channels. You can ask the cust. service folks to send a re-authorization and see if that helps. If the person you talk to doesn't seem helpful, ask for a supervisor. Don't rant and rave at them, but be persistent in telling them that you have paid for their service and you expect them to fix it. I think the worst case might be that you would have to replace the smart card, I doubt it would be the receiver itself. Good luck.

Old 07-19-00, 10:46 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

quote:<HR>Originally posted by amys99:
I have a DSS dish with Dirct TV servcie. This weekend, channels 204-299 went a.w.o.l.
The only thing we can pick up b/t these channels are the Direct TV Promo stations (order WNBA here; DirectTV Info, etc). Customer Service at Direct TV was no help at all... any suggestions? I really don't want to have to buy a new receiver...
<HR>

*** Not that this would cause all problems related to DSS but solar activity has been very high lately. Also like Smokey said check for obstuctions, new celular towers etc. I personaly had problems with black outs until we started searching for extraneous conditions we found a new cellular tower about 450 yards form house just behind some trees that appeared "overnight", with folage on the trees the problem was minimized but as soon as the trees lost their leaves, bang the blackouts returned. Just remember, it's always something...

Old 07-19-00, 10:47 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by amys99:
<HR>

*** Oh yea forgot to send this to you for S&G... http://www.maj.com/sun/images/noaa_satenv.gif

Old 07-21-00, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
one other thing. If the power of the signal from the satellite has dropped recently, either because the satellite has lowered power, your dish has moved ,or you've moved the receiver farther away from the dish you may be loosing some signals. Does Direct TV have a signal level metering menu? Is it different than when installed? Is the cable between the dish and the receiver ok ( not dryed out cracked or kinked ) Are the connectors on the dish and receiver ok ( not pulling away from the cable , tightly connected)
Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 07-21-00, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
one other thing. If the power of the signal from the satellite has dropped recently, either because the satellite has lowered power, your dish has moved ,or you've moved the receiver farther away from the dish you may be loosing some signals. Does Direct TV have a signal level metering menu? Is it different than when installed? Is the cable between the dish and the receiver ok ( not dryed out cracked or kinked ) Are the connectors on the dish and receiver ok ( not pulling away from the cable , tightly connected)
Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: