Sony Television

Old 09-30-00, 08:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a !993 40 inch Sony and I have absolutely no power when it is plugged in, I checked the outlet and it is fine? Any help for me?

Old 10-01-00, 07:11 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Good Morning, Judy:
Wow! 40"? You must watch it from across the street!

The Sony units have a tendency to fail in the low voltage power supplies. They have a boot strap circuit that toasts a couple of high value resistors (usally about one megohm). The resistors are normally valued at 1/2 watt and the fix is to replace the resistors with a 1 watt version.

It's worth a look and the repairs should not be too expensive. Most of the costs will be for labor. The resistors run about $1 each.

It may be more extensive than this. It's hard to say unless I can see it one-on-one.
But, Sony makes a tough television set. Their power supplies are their weak link.

Good luck and come back to see us

Smokey

Old 10-01-00, 03:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank-you so much for your help Smokey!! In the past I have taken TV's in for repair and had them tell me that it was not worth fixing (let the store keep it) and then about a month later see it for sale as used!! So your help is deeply appreciated.

Old 10-01-00, 03:45 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Wink

Good Afternoon, Judy:
Best advice I can give is check out Sony on the web and find out who is authorized in your area to service this 40" monster. That will eliminate the riff-raff and get you settled in with some real technicians.

Good luck on the fix.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: