one speaker works on shelf system!

Old 11-22-00, 12:32 AM
Visiting Guest
I have an aiwa shelf system which accepts the large type headphone jack. I use an expander so i can use my small jack headphones. While removing the expander, the tip broke off and remains inside the unit. The hole is too small to reach into with any tools. If I cut both wires leading to the headphone jack (I really don't need 'em) will both speakers work again. Would I have to solder the wires back together. Please help, I appreciate it.

Old 11-22-00, 04:22 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

Once you get the unit open you should be able to get the broken piece out. I have worked on hundreds of those things and they are a bugger to get apart because of the CD player. Is it the three dick player or the six? I think the plug just breaks/opens the ground. Forsure be very carefull around the CD player, they are very sensitive and very difficult to align w/out the schematic. How many wires are going to the plug?

Old 11-22-00, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
2 wires, I haven't messed with the shelf unit in about 2 years because it didn't work and couldn't find time. You know how it goes. You are certainly right about the cd player alignment because it's misaligned too since i messed with it.

Old 11-24-00, 10:54 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Oh buddy you are in trouble now. If you send me the model number and serial number, certain serials ID the unit, even though it's the same model it may have been assembled at a different time of year. It could be mechanical or electrical adjust. I will dig out my notes and see if I can guide you on re-setting the alignment. It's a real bugger and you may have to take it in. My honest oppinion... By seperate components! Then if something happens to one you haven't lost all. I severly dislike Aiwa because they are to finiky! JVC portables are much more stable. This is just my oppinion and I could be wrong

Old 11-24-00, 06:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all you guidence Mike, the model number is NSX-4000, and the serial number is A-1380004. I got this unit years ago and hardly used it. The sound quality was excellent and all. I would have probably got a better system, but I got it as a gift. It has the 3 disc changer. Since the cd player got misaligned i haven't touched it and it still has the cd in it. I'll mess with it a little tonight and check this posting soon.

Old 11-24-00, 10:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hey Mike, I made a mistake on the diagnosis of my system. Like I said, it's been a couple of years. The headphone jack no longer has anything stuck in it because years ago i got it out..-From the inside. Anyway the small box for the jack is joined with 2 circuit boards the one in front for the front display and the one on the left side. I figure by now that i'm S.O.L. and my shelf unit is worthless because the repair cost would not be within reason. What do you think?

Old 11-24-00, 10:56 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

OK Marshall I have the alignment for that unit. It's actually pretty easy. Lucky you! The 6 disk is very difficult. So you have sound then? What I am going to do is scan in the instructions and send them to your regular email. My dad is here so it will be late Saturday before I can get it done. Sorry for the delay but don't get to see the old fart that often so going to spend the day repairing his HF rig (Ham radio). Get with you ASAP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: