Receiver Speakers A and B question

Old 02-23-10, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receiver Speakers A and B question

Pioneer VSX D498 5.1 receiver.
My manual says that I can use either "A" or "B" or "A&B" to listen to. Since this is a 5.1 channel receiver what happens (internally) when A&B are selected? Since it will be powering 2 pairs of speakers (4 total), I thought being a 5.1 channel receiver I could ONLY run one pair of speakers off the "Front L&R" channel at a time. Would not setting "A&B" to run four speakers tax the "Front L&R" channel of the AMP? Does setting A&B "split" the amp into 1/2 power for each pair of speakers? Since "A" speakers are only available when using surround sound mode does setting it to "A&B" pull power from the rear channel for the "B" speakers?

I thought it important to know before I connect both A and B and switch to run them both at the same time.

Old 02-23-10, 02:34 PM
N
your surround sound typically is 'A'
I believe your manual may also state the following:

7 SPEAKERS (A/B) buttons Use to switch the corresponding speaker system on or off. To listen to both speaker systems (A and B), press the buttons so that both A and B appear in the display (refer to “Display”, =, Speaker indicators on page 21). Only A speakers are available when using surround sound modes

You can use the 'B' set of L/R speakers to send music/audio to another location.

The 'A' set is your 5.1 surround set up.

Old 02-23-10, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by njnorsky View Post
You can use the 'B' set of L/R speakers to send music/audio to another location.
That is what I got from that too. What I'm wondering is since there is an "A" and an "B" option then when my receiver is speced as a 5.1, is in actuality, a 7.1 (so to speak). When connecting my front L&R to "A" and connecting another room pair of speakers to front L&R "B" then when I select speakers A&B there is a 6th and 7th channel that picks up the "B" speakers OR does it draw power from the rear L&R (4th and 5th channels) to run the "B" speakers?
Make sense?

Old 02-23-10, 06:51 PM
N
hook it all up and see what happens but here's what I believe is going to happen.

The A option controls your surround sound speakers - Front Right, Front Center, Front Left, Rear Right and Rear Left and then the sub woofer (5.1). When a surround source is being played the receiver will push that sound to the appropriate surround sound channels of A only. The B speakers I don't believe will have any audio (if I looked up your correct manual on line) but if they did - they would only replicate Front Right and Front Left, not true 7.1.

When playing audio from a stereo source - if both A and B are selected then the receiver will push the stereo sound to A and also to B.

Your receiver should push whatever it is rated to the speakers I don't believe there is a loss of power to any of the speakers.

Old 03-02-10, 09:50 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
When you select A and B, each amplifier channel that has both an A speaker and a B speaker will have the two speakers connected in parallel. The overall impedance will be roughly half of the impedance of just one speaker. You need to be careful not to crank the volume too high because connecting speakers with an impedance less than the amplifier rating can cause overheating and/or blowing of amplifier channel fuses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: