AKAI TV screen problem


  #1  
Old 04-03-10, 01:18 PM
C
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AKAI TV screen problem

After searching on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, I've noticed that AKAI has a very bad reputation and it's often hard to find replacement parts for them. With that being said, I still have faith that the problem can be resolved.

The TV is an AKAI LCT42Z6TM. When I first turn on the tv it works perfectly fine and I can use it for 10 minutes or so before it has problems. Small dots of bright light start to appear in random parts of the screen. At first, relatively few dots appear but over time the entire screen gets filled with them until the TV is no longer usable. Turning the TV off and then on again does not change anything unless I unplug the TV and let it "rest" for several hours.

This phenomenon occurs using both HDMI and analog inputs. When there is no input connected, the screen works fine; it turns blue and displays the AKAI logo.

This problem has been going on for quite some time (3+ months) but the TV is no longer under warranty.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
 
  #2  
Old 04-04-10, 03:42 PM
C
Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,059
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the main board is going < gone > bad. Bad news is the parts no longer available.
 
  #3  
Old 04-05-10, 09:48 AM
C
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I'm pretty much out of luck right? Sounds like I need to start saving for a new TV

If I were to find a new main board on ebay or elsewhere on the web what are my chances that replacing it would solve the problem.

Thanks for the help,
Chris
 
  #4  
Old 04-05-10, 03:51 PM
C
Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,059
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think chances are about 80% that will fix it.Part # is P771EL42AE01-04 Main Pcb.The other 20% would be a remote chance that its bad caps in the power supply board.
 
  #5  
Old 04-07-10, 10:24 AM
C
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only replacement part I was able to find was $150 on ebay. I might as well purchase a new tv.

Do you think my damaged PCB could be repaired? I'm trying to exhaust all my options before I have to break down and buy a whole new tv.

Thanks,
Chris
 
  #6  
Old 04-07-10, 03:37 PM
C
Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,059
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No chance of it being repaired.Time to bite the bullit and look for another tv.
 
  #7  
Old 04-07-10, 04:31 PM
C
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help. Looks like I'll be buying a new tv.

Thanks,
Chris
 
  #8  
Old 12-04-12, 06:06 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad board

My Akai crashed after 4 yrs of solid use. That was my third set....the first two crashed in a couple of weeks.

These sets aren't worth putting allot money into. New sets of similar specs cost half of what they cost 5 yrs ago.

not sure if this is helpful but there are tools on the Internet to troubleshoot TV problems. Mine was traced back to the y sustain board. I shopped around the net with a price limitation of 75 bucks. I did not want to put any more money than that. I would rather put it into a new set.

anyway.....I found a place called boston recycling and spoke with a guy named FRED. He sent me a servicable y sustain board for 55 bucks and my TV is back in business. The akai plasma has a beautiful screen. The screen is only 1080i but my eyes can't tell the didifference.

next I will install cooling fans in the back of the set. Akai was too cheap to put them in and I think it was heat that destroyed the y sustain board.

Parts are available on the net. You just have to search.



.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: