Home theather receiver pops then shuts off

Old 04-19-10, 11:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Home theather receiver pops then shuts off

We switched from DirectTV to ATT-Uverse about 6 months ago. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the issue at hand. It started about a month ago; the HT receiver gives a loud pop then shuts off. The remote we use to turn on the TV and the receiver seems to have a breakdown. It will turn on the TV and the receiver but, at times, will no longer control the volume or turn off the receiver, however, it will turn off the TV. Sometimes after the pop the remote goes between working and not working. We have two remotes, both act the same. The Uverse remote will control volume and channels but has no code to work TV or HT reciever. We have never found a remote that will turn everything on and off.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-10, 04:45 PM
Did all this start happening at the same time? Cause it's likely not related.

The receiver, does it shut down immediately? Or after it's been on a while?

If it's immediate, you probably have a short on one of the speaker wires. If you had an installer there and it started right after that, it's probably right at the back of the receiver, look for whiskers, pieces of wire touching between the red and black of any of the speaker wires. Or a speaker cable got pinched, either behind the equipment or in the attic if the installer went there.

If it shuts down after it's been on a while, it's getting to hot. Did the installer set the box on top of the receiver? Is it a DVR? Cable boxes and DVR's get notoriously hot. If it's on top of the receiver, or something else got moved there in the process, it may be blocking the vents on the receiver. Move it, or get something to space it apart, some small blocks or something. If it's in a cabinet, you may need to increase airflow. Give us a description if that's the case, and we can give direction.

Come to think of it, the overheating could result in loss of processing the remote commands.

Old 05-07-10, 06:08 PM
J
Sometimes the receiver (Home Theater) pops off after a few minutes, this can happen 2-3 times in a row, other times it can be 30 min to an hour. It can go days without it popping off. Lately the remotes will turn the TV and receiver on but will only turn the TV off. The receiver and DVR have their own space, both are well ventilated as is the TV.

I thought it might be something inside the HT receiver. I don't know if they have a life span, this one is about 7yrs old. I was thinking of just unhooking it if it gets too annoying.

I'll check out the wires as you suggest. Thanks for responding.