TV Antenna

Old 05-18-10, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TV Antenna

What is a good TV Antenna to get for an attic installation. I have a vacation home in an Association that does not allow them on the roof. I'm not there that often so it is hard to justify paying for cable. I now get good reception on about 6 or 7 stations with rabbit ears but would like to get more. The attic roof is pretty high but has trusses 24 inches on center which might make it difficult to install or rotate a large antenna. I just got a 42 inch Phillips flat screen TV. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-10, 04:03 AM
I would start at antennaweb.org and see what's best for your area.

Old 05-21-10, 09:36 PM
I'm in the same situation as homeowner26;
Vacation home which doesn't justify cable or satellite.
I have a small condo on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building. No access to an attic or roof to install anything.

I need an interior type or maybe one I can install on a balcony.
I have one on the balcony which doesn't consistently work. Some days I receive a bunch of station and other days I'm lucky to get one.

Can anyone recommend a specific make/model antenna for the above situation?

thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-10, 06:32 PM
antenna

I am not sure if they still make them. I saw this before the digital change over. It was a indoor antenna, that kind of looked like a light pole. Made for apartment with no out side antenna. Also they make ones that use your house wiring.

Old 06-22-10, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by homeowner26 View Post
What is a good TV Antenna to get for an attic installation. I have a vacation home in an Association that does not allow them on the roof.
They probably cannot enforce that. See "Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule" at FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas.
On the other hand, you'd have to decide if you wanted to fight about it.

Originally Posted by homeowner26 View Post
I'm not there that often so it is hard to justify paying for cable. I now get good reception on about 6 or 7 stations with rabbit ears but would like to get more. The attic roof is pretty high but has trusses 24 inches on center which might make it difficult to install or rotate a large antenna. I just got a 42 inch Phillips flat screen TV. Thanks
Do you fiddle with the rabbit ears to get those stations? Or are the transmitters all in one direction?

You also need to look up what stations are in your area and at what frequency. If they are all UHF, a different antenna is called for. Look at Winegard.com, and also Choosing and Installing an Antenna for HDTV. Crutchfield I've been very satisfied with.

Finally, some TVs tune great with crappy broken rabbit ears (my nephew's little Sony) and others need a 90 foot tower it seems. So consider that if you can't get a workable antenna you may need to change TVs

Old 06-22-10, 05:36 AM
For the DIYer, a very good antenna can be made for a few dollars.
I made one using stripped copper wire from romex (you can use coat hangers).
search Youtube for homemade uhf antenna.
My homemade resulted in a better signal strength than three other available consumer bought antennas.

fred