Amplifier and EQ not Playing Nice

Old 05-26-10, 07:12 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Amplifier and EQ not Playing Nice

Need some thoughts on how to troubleshoot and/or repair.

Have a CD player, CD recorder, cassette player/recorder, turntable, and receiver/amplifier running through Tape Monitor into my equalizer.

When I'm listening with equalizer "in", I sporadically get static through my left channel. If I take the EQ out, or turn off Tape Monitor, the static goes away.

So, for starters, does this indicate a problem with the amplifier? EQ? Should I start swapping patch cords willy-nilly?

I have to move some furniture to get at all of this, so some thoughts on where to start would be great.

Also, if anyone knows of any good boards where to cross-post this, that would be super-helpful as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-10, 03:42 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
By pressing the EQ Out button you have bypassed the circuitry in the EQ. The problem seems to be inside the EQ. To verify, swap the L&R cables at the connectors coming out of the EQ. The problem should now be heard in the right channel.

Old 05-27-10, 08:25 AM
R
My gut was that it was the EQ... But I didn't know if that could indicate an issue with the tape monitor function itself. Will play with cables later...

Thanks.

Anything that can be done? Or am I about to find out EQs are disposable?

rjb

Old 06-22-10, 12:02 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unless there's something wrong with your speakers or your room has really bad acoustics, you don't need an EQ. They generally can't fix acoustical problems anyway. The typical boosts people apply with EQ are more appealing simply because they make part of the music louder...but not better.

So just leave the EQ punched out, and get better speakers if you need. Or upgrade the receiver to get more inputs. As a last resort, Radio Shack and Parts Express probably have several-to-one RCA switchers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: