Is it commom for a Panansic TV to quite without warning?

Old 06-21-10, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it commom for a Panansic TV to quite without warning?

Model # CT32HXC14L
Chassis # BP421
Serial # LE41940566
Production date July 2004

I purchased the above TV brand new and have had no problems what so ever. TV turned on fine this morning to watch a few programs on DVR. Turned TV off and did some errands. Came back about lunch time, press power button on remote, nothing. Press power button on TV, nothing. No red LED, no clicking noise like I usually hear when powering up the TV, nothing. Move the power cord to a known good recepticle, nothing. At this point I'm like motherfather.

Called a few local TV repair facility and all of them stated if it's 32" or smaller I have to bring it in. Anything larger and they will do a house call. No big deal I thought, why pay for a service call if I can bring it in myself.

Questions:

1) Does this sound like a minor repair that a homeowner can do himself? I've pretty decent with electrical, both automotive and residential.
2) Like my title asked, is it common for Pan to quite without warning?
3) What can I expect the cause of my problem to be and the average cost to repair?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-10, 05:51 PM
It's common for all brand tvs to quit without warning.Being that it is dead , i would guess the power supply went bad.If its worth fixing will depend on how much labor the shop is going to charge you.Ask a lot of questions about labor and parts pricing before you pick a shop to take it to.

Old 06-21-10, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by craftsman_50 View Post
It's common for all brand tvs to quit without warning.Being that it is dead , i would guess the power supply went bad.If its worth fixing will depend on how much labor the shop is going to charge you.Ask a lot of questions about labor and parts pricing before you pick a shop to take it to.
Will do, thanks................

Old 07-01-10, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately in my rush to find a repair facility, I did not asked the questions you suggested. Which "could" backfire in my face.

Here's the deal. Last week I droped the TV off and paid a $50 deposit/diagnosic charge. During that time they never called to inform me what was causing the problem. This morning I get a call stating the TV is ready for pick-up. I asked what was the problem and she (the clerk) stated the invoice indicated a fuse was replaced and the cost will be $325 (parts/labor) plus tax.

It's been a long time since I've been in the market for the TV, but at this point I'm thinking what's the average cost for a new 32" TV.

I have a lot of research to do before I commit to picking up the TV at the shop.

1) I need to thoroughly look at the invoice I got when I droped off the TV to see if my signature gave them permission to repair the TV without my approval.

2) I need to shop around and see what's the average cost for a new 32" TV. If I pay their repair cost, that will be almost $400 out of pocket.

I do have one question, I can't imagine it to be labor intensive to replace a fuse, so what's the average cost for a fuse?

These are questions I will difinately ask the repair shop and thanks for your valid assistance which I did not follow.

Old 07-01-10, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No expert...but $325 to replace a fuse???? Even if it was soldered in...I would think something like $125 would be the top end. There may have been quite a bit of disassembly to get to it....but I would think a Pro would have it done in an hour or so.

Look at your drop-off receipt...is there a box saying "call with estimate before repair" or something similar?

Wait...the $325 is in ADDITION to the $50? Thats crazy...

You can probably buy a new flat screen HD LCD for that....even less with sales and floor models....

Old 07-01-10, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
No expert...but $325 to replace a fuse???? Even if it was soldered in...I would think something like $125 would be the top end. There may have been quite a bit of disassembly to get to it....but I would think a Pro would have it done in an hour or so.

Look at your drop-off receipt...is there a box saying "call with estimate before repair" or something similar?

Wait...the $325 is in ADDITION to the $50? Thats crazy...

You can probably buy a new flat screen HD LCD for that....even less with sales and floor models....
My point exact. The wifey is at home so I asked her to look at the invoice. The wife says it states my signature gives them to diagnose for an estimate to repair. She says it's clearly stated on the invoice.

I hate to screw over a independent shop (I'm a mechanic by trade so I understand) but they royaly screwed up by repairing the TV without my approval. They're in the buisness so they must know what's the average cost for a new 32" TV and why would someone pay almost $400 to repair a TV that's 6yrs old.

Regardless if they can break down exactly why it's $325 (part, labor, soldered, gold plated, etc) I agree, that's still way too much out of pocket.

But, I will be willing to work out a deal if they are willing. $50 deposit, plus $150 repair and I'll take the TV. Remember, they should have called.

Old 07-04-10, 11:15 AM
Crisis averted, the cost of repairing the TV was not $325, and instead it was $3.25. I went to the shop ready to argue my case in wanting to know why they would repair my TV for $325 without my approval. When I asked her why, she smiled and started laughing. And that’s when she told me that is was $3.25. When they called and told me it would be ”three twenty five”, I assumed they meant $325. I guess it was my fault for not clarifying. So the total out of pocket was $53.25 to replace a blown fuse.

Old 07-04-10, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
LOL a good honest shop! I guess they figured even us cheapskates would go ahead and pay the $3.25 w/o prior authorization.

Old 07-05-10, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
LOL a good honest shop! I guess they figured even us cheapskates would go ahead and pay the $3.25 w/o prior authorization.
Exactly, who's going to argue over $3.25