Magnavox VCR/DVD combo won't stay on

Old 07-03-10, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magnavox VCR/DVD combo won't stay on

I have a Magnavox DV220MW9 - DVD/VCR combo. It worked good, then all of a sudden the power wouldn't stay on. It goes on (lights up) for about the count of 2, then shuts off. But, the lighted dots in the window (where the time would be if set) stay on.
The fuse looks okay, not burned or broken.
My son is an electrician (wiring, etc not the electronics kind) and has a voltmeter/tester (continuity?) He was checking it, but doesn't know what it should be. Like what voltage is supposed to go through the fuse (and maybe not enough is)? He wanted me to look online for a schematic, but all I can find are other people looking for this. And others who have the same problem and no answers. Seems like the voltage is going in, and hitting something in it, that isn't working- and shutting off. If we could find WHERE this is, we might see what we could get and replace?
Not sure if I'm explaining this right (I am a grandmother and only have a rough idea about how this stuff works)
Seems like it might be something simple if we could track it down.
Thanks!
Carrie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-10, 01:13 PM
Most shutdown problems with these units are mechanical. There is a gear or a belt thats slipped out of place.

Old 07-05-10, 06:21 AM
That's interesting. I never thought of that. Though of course I don't know anything about it Doesn't seem like it has a chance to do anything, but maybe you mean something slipped out of place (already) and this is what's shutting it down? There aren't any tapes or CDs in it. I can hit power with the case off and it doesn't seem to have a chance to do anything (try anything) before it goes off.
Can you give me some idea of what to look for? I can also tell my son, who was looking at it for me. (he does electrical work, but the wiring kind, not electronics)
I hate to give up on it if it's just some little thing. But I don't have money to pay to have it fixed (I'm on Social Security)
Thanks for the response.

Old 07-05-10, 01:26 PM
You have to run the gears through thier positions manually to check it.I can't tell you how to do that over the internet.

Old 07-05-10, 02:36 PM
I know what you mean. Just the DVD drive is covered in a circuit board, wiring, etc. I had to take a cassette tape out of the VCR, and knew there are rollers to turn to lift it up and out, and one side of it didn't seem to work. Though I got the tape out. Maybe that's a clue.
But it shuts off when the power is turned on, even without a tape or disk in it.
I know, it's not easy answering questions about things like this online. I've tried to tell people over the phone how to hook up cable, cable box, stereo, etc (what wire goes in, where).
I have another combo one the DVD recorder part stopped working. INSIGNIA brand. I thought I could get a replacement for the DVD part, that one is all encased, with wires plugging in the back (inside the main case). Like a computer DVD drive (which I have replaced) only smaller.
Couldn't find a place to buy one though.
Sometimes it's easier just to find another one (at some point)
Sometimes it's some little thing.