My own netflix

Old 08-11-10, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My own netflix

I have a lot of boxes of VCR tapes, and DVD'S, stored in closet all over the house. I woulds like to make my own kind of netflix, and get rid of a lot of those tapes. How would I go about doing that. Would I just get a big DVR, and just record everything.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-10, 04:16 AM
You can convert those tapes with a DVD recorder, or get a video card with A/V inputs for your computer and record everything to a hard drive. A USB external hard drive can be moved from computer to computer. If you go that route, buy two so you have a backup. It will take hundreds of hours to record, and if the hard drive crashes your videos will go with it.

Old 08-12-10, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 53 Posts
I have a lot of educational type vcr tapes that I wanted to put on dvd, so I bought a Toshiba vcr/dvd recorder. I got it at Amazon. Not real cheap, but works well. It does transfer at real time, so it is slow, but you can watch tv or do something else while you're waiting.

Old 08-12-10, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
You can convert those tapes with a DVD recorder, or get a video card with A/V inputs for your computer and record everything to a hard drive. A USB external hard drive can be moved from computer to computer. If you go that route, buy two so you have a backup. It will take hundreds of hours to record, and if the hard drive crashes your videos will go with it.
Rick, I have kind of looked at that. But I want to be able to watch it on tv. That is why I was thinking DVR.

Old 08-12-10, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
These days it's really easy to hook a TV up to a computer, I think Rick just assumed you would be doing that

Old 08-14-10, 07:59 PM
I also have hundreds of movies on VHS tapes.
And I do have a dvd recorder. But I'll be danged if I'm gonna waste my time, and money, transferring old vhs quality movies to dvds! Most of those movies I can now watch in HD. Life's too short to fool with VHS tapes in realtime!!!

fred

Old 08-15-10, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
These days it's really easy to hook a TV up to a computer, I think Rick just assumed you would be doing that
That, or using the computer to burn DVDs that he can watch on TV.