Sharp Aquous cannot increase volume (loud)

Old 08-19-10, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharp Aquous cannot increase volume (loud)

Sharp Aquos 52" HDTV model LC-C52700 UN

This set is only a few months old and ever since new even with the sound at its highest it isn't really loud. This set is hooked up through Time-Warner cable HDTV using the HDMI cable. There is also a DVD player hooked up using Coaxial Cable

I cannot find an owners/users manual in the packaging, only a quick guide on making the inputs and program the remote controller.

A senior citizen (my Mom) who depends on having the sound a little bit louder than normal, is the primary user of this set. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-10, 04:48 AM
Is the cable box volume controlled seperately from the TV volume? On my fios box, the box volume is set at '35' but when watching TV and controlling the volume it is the TV's volume that displays and I rarely have that over 7 or 8.
Have you tried different a different HDMI port or other audio inputs to see if that changes anything?

Old 08-30-10, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
My apologies for not seeing this sooner. If you haven't corrected it already, try simply unplugging it and then plugging it back in. I have no idea the cause or how the unplugging resets, but that works on our Aquos that's done it a couple of times.

Old 08-30-10, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've found on my two Samsung LCD flat-panel TV's, the audio output is pretty weak. Nothing at all like a traditional CRT TV's loudness or tone quality. Its my observation that the ultra thin cabinets for LCD TV's simply does not leave any room for a decent speaker, and the manufacturer's presumption is that you're going to use a surround sound system anyway.

Old 08-30-10, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried the unplug operation and left it without power for more than a few minutes but it had no effect, the volume remains the same.

Yes this unit is very slim and I notice that the speakers do appear to be on the small side but I have had great sound come out of some very small speakers on other products.

This TV is connected to the cable box by an HDMI cable. But there is also combination DVD Player / VCR that is connected via COAX from the Time Warner Cable box and into the TV's COAX antenna input. I'm wondering if this could be causing the low sound volume? I'll disconnect this and see how it does.

I'm thinking that I might try using AUDIO CABLES from the cable box direct into the TV, maybe that would improve the sound. Otherwise I may try connecting a Surround Sound set up or at least a set of decent speakers. I have a couple of spare speakers from my old computers -Labtec. Do you think these speakers might work just as a test?

Old 09-01-10, 06:43 AM
Sound

Originally Posted by grandspan View Post
Thanks for the replies. I tried the unplug operation and left it without power for more than a few minutes but it had no effect, the volume remains the same.

Yes this unit is very slim and I notice that the speakers do appear to be on the small side but I have had great sound come out of some very small speakers on other products.

This TV is connected to the cable box by an HDMI cable. But there is also combination DVD Player / VCR that is connected via COAX from the Time Warner Cable box and into the TV's COAX antenna input. I'm wondering if this could be causing the low sound volume? I'll disconnect this and see how it does.

I'm thinking that I might try using AUDIO CABLES from the cable box direct into the TV, maybe that would improve the sound. Otherwise I may try connecting a Surround Sound set up or at least a set of decent speakers. I have a couple of spare speakers from my old computers -Labtec. Do you think these speakers might work just as a test?
I remember this set when testing them at the store....great picture but the sound was weak....as compared to some others. You might look into those "sound bars", I think Sony makes one. Its a single small long speaker about 30" or so with very good sound. As close to surround sound as you can get without all the seperate speakers and wires everywhere.

Old 09-01-10, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most LCD tv's only have about 10 watts of power, so that's not much.

Old 09-05-10, 07:54 AM
Would it benefit Mom to turn on the closed captioning? At least until you find a solution.