Harman Kardon AVR635 Audio Syncing Problems

Old 11-17-10, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Harman Kardon AVR635 Audio Syncing Problems

I've spoken with HK directly, but they haven't been able to pinpoint my problem. I have a Harman Kardon AVR635 receiver and it is quite finicky when it comes to decoding audio from DVDs. At first I thought it was my DVD player, but I've tried at least three different units and still get the same result. The problem is sporadic, but it happens quite frequently and is VERY irritating. I've found that if I change the DVD player settings from "PCM" to "Bitstream", sometimes that fixes the problem, but not always. Other options are "PCM downsampling" and one other (don't remember) related to the audio settings, all of which I turned off the other night after encountering the problem. The audio then began to play, but I've had to toy with these settings before depending on which DVD I'm playing. For some reason, the DVD player and A/V receiver don't seem to be syncing up all the time. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-10, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How are you connecting audio to the device? Are you also running video through it?

My guess is the audio is early relative to the video because of the video processing that's done these days, especially with HDMI. The HK has a delay function (press "Delay" on the remote) that allows you to add delay in milliseconds to all of the speakers at once. Typically the video is delayed by about one frame (1/30th of a second) which requires about 33 milliseconds of audio delay.

Old 12-15-10, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sorry for the confusion, my problem is not "Lipsync" delay (I know how to fix that), my problem is that the audio will cut in and out for no apparent reason. Some DVDs worse than others, but the problem subsides when I mess with the PCM and Bitstream settings in the DVD players menu. It hasn't happened in a while, so I think it may have started when we had a power outage and the DVD settings got erased.