Inexpensive quality surround sound?

Old 11-24-10, 09:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Inexpensive quality surround sound?

Hi all,
I just purchased a new 46" Sony LCD/LED side lit flat screen TV and am wondering the best reasonable way to get the best sound out of it. Sorry cannot afford BOSE. LOL Also, is some kind of acoustical board recommended?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-10, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't recommend Bose. The price/performance ratio is WAY out of whack.

There are boatloads of "Home Theater in A Box" packages in the $300 - $400 range that could work. Brands include the usual suspects: Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic.

I say "could work" because it depends on the size of the room. They are designed for the typical home living room which is roughly 200 sq ft. A larger room will require bigger speakers (especially the sub), more power (especially the sub), and higher cost.

Acoustic treatments on walls are usually nixed by the Person In Charge of Decorating, but there are ways to please both her eyes and your ears.
-- Sound absorption helps prevent reflections and will "tighten the room" acoustically. Carpeting with pad on the floor, heavy curtains on the windows, thick cloth upholstery on the furniture, and table runners on the coffee and end tables will help.
-- Focus the speakers on the listening area. Try to aim them so they don't fire directly into opposite walls, ceiling, or other reflective surface such as a mirror. Any acoustic power produced by the speakers that doesn't make it to your ears is wasted. The exception is the sub, which ideally should be in a corner on the floor. It uses the corner to increase its output.
-- Remove large mirrors from the room, and remove glass from wall-hung picture frames.
-- Painted drywall is an enemy. If you have a large, empty, reflective wall space, ask the Person In Charge of Decorating if she would agree to some vertical accent panels on the walls. Make frames out of 1x2's, fill the void with (fire retardant) 1" foam, use batting over the frame, and cover with the material of her choice.

Old 11-25-10, 07:30 PM
Thank you Rick for your input. And I am the person in charge of decoration...LOL