Subaru Car Stereo

Old 12-20-00, 09:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but I have a 98 Subaru equipped with a Subaru AM/FM cassette player. When I adjust the volume control, the right-side speakers crackle loudly with static and the volume sometimes gets very loud quickly.

I assume there's a short somewhere. Is there a reasonably easy way to track this down, or is it better left to a pro?

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 12-20-00, 10:03 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, blinky2:
This forum is close enough to cover your problem. The problem you describe is more often the volume control, itself. The controls get a little dirt in them, often some corrosion, and then only make intermittant contact.
If you can get the radio out and get the cover off it, you can identify the volume control(s) easily. Take a can of WD-40 and spray it into any access you can find to get the liquid inside the control.
DON'T get the thought that "If a little WD-40 is good, a lot must be great!" Use the spray sparingly and try to contain it to the controls. Work the control back and forth a few times and the problem should disappear.

WD-40 can be used in tone controls, on switch contacts, etc but is messy when you get it into the transistor or integrated chip circuitry.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: