home theater connection puzzle

Old 12-24-10, 02:46 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
home theater connection puzzle

merry xmas,

i have a sony str-de875 digital a/v receiver, a dynex dx-l32-a10 lcd flatscreen tv, an x-box 360 and a desay ds-5701 dvd player.

1. to receive digital audio from the dvd player i am using a digital audio coaxial out from dvd player to the digital audio in of the receiver.

dvd player component y,pb,pr cable out to component y,pb,pr cable in to tv.

here is the problem;

my dvd manual is the configuration above. my receiver manual says to use the dvd a/v (rwy) out to the receiver dvd/ld a/v in and dvd digital audio out to receiver digital audio in. the tv audio out then goes to receiver tv/sat audio in.

neither of these configurations will produce digital sound (dts, thx etc.)

what is going wrong here?

any help would be appreciated.

also, can the component video cable be used for an a/v connection?

help me please

aloha and mahalo

southwest swell 8-10 ft
wind 0-5 knots variable
79 F 82% humidity

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-10, 04:48 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That receiver pre-dates the new video spigots, so I would ignore the manual. The Component outputs from the DVD should connect directly to the TV.

Connect the Toslink (optical) or Digital Coax from the DVD to the receiver's DVD or DVD/LD spigot.

The DVD you're playing must have digital audio. Homemade DVDs and rips may not have it. Make sure the DVD's audio settings and the disc's menu are set to Dolby or DTS. The receiver's settings should match the DVD.

If it still doesn't work, there may be a problem with the cable (you can use any RCA->RCA in the coax spigots), DVD player (try it on another system), or receiver (try any of the other inputs with the DVD player, including red/white RCA).