want to buy 46" HDTV, want your opinions on units around $1000

Old 01-17-11, 06:14 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
want to buy 46" HDTV, want your opinions on units around $1000

I looked at Sony, Samsung, and LG, so far I'm set on 120 hz but not much else. Do you have any suggestions or any specific models/brands that you suggest?

I heard that Sony kinda has bad sound since it projects rearward, any comments?

Are there better deals online? I was looking at Best Buy so far.

Old 01-18-11, 03:35 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
After a whole lot of searching, comparing at stores, and research we settled on the Sony Bravia 46 120Hz. We saw a direct comparison of all three of the manufacturers you mentioned and the Sony was far better. We paid $800, which was $100 or so more than the others. It doesn't have ethernet, but it does have an excellent scaler for the VGA input.

Check Best Buy's return and service policies and you may decide not to purchase from them. Of all places, we bought from Wally World's Ship to Store.

The sound is lacking (actually in all three models) but I use an outboard surround sound system.

Old 01-18-11, 04:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Go to the stores and look at and listen to all of the choices - something will stand out to you

Old 01-18-11, 04:46 AM
L
I did go to Best Buy and visit the wall of TVs, the 46" 120hz Sony Bravia actually stood out to me. I currently have a Sony 32" monster that I have had for 12 years or so and once they fixed it when it was 2 weeks old, it has been a good set. I don't use a remote speaker system, my wife doesn't like that for some reason so sound is a semi important feature. None of the sound is ON in Best Buy.

I heard rumblings regarding BB return policy but I don't recall details, I have also heard good things about Wally Worlds prices in comparison. My thought was to find a model that we liked and maybe research it on line. I have done that with camera equipment and always saved $$$, I wonder if TV equipment is like that too?

Old 01-18-11, 09:34 AM
N
One thing I always consider is does the set have enough inputs to handle what I need today as well as 1 or 2 more for the next "must have" device that will come out tomorrow. If I were buying a new Tv today, I'd want at least 4 HDMI - (preferably all on the back of the set. 1 - cbl/sat box, 2 - DVD/BluRay, 3 - Game sytem 4 - future) and maybe 1 or 2 component connections as well for older gear.
Do yourself a favor, don't buy the HDMI cables at BB - shop on line.

Old 01-18-11, 10:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
It's been my experience shopping in the store is a good way to find the item I want but the price they want is outrageous compared to buying online

Old 01-18-11, 02:13 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Our concerns were the shipping method. Site to Store ships via Wally's trucks, so they tend to be a bit more gentle.

The Bravia has 4x HDMI, 2 component, 1 VGA and a bunch of other spigots. Don't get me wrong -- the sound is okay. I'm just used to 5.1 surround.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: