Pioneer Receiver Powers on, but no sound- any ideas

Old 01-23-11, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pioneer Receiver Powers on, but no sound- any ideas

Hi there, I have an older Pioneer Receiver model SX-1900 that I cannot get to make any sound. It will power up fine, and I have checked to make sure that the speaker wires are not touching eachother, etc. I have also opened up the case and inspected inside- there are no blown caps that are visible, nothing else really looks fried. Also, I have checked the barrel fuse that is inside.

Any ideas of where to get next? This was a great receiver, but probably they are almost disposable anymore correct? If I can't fix it myself, it will probably cost about as much to fix as a whole new unit.

I am confident in soldering in anything that might need replacement if anyone has an idea of where I can start with my troubleshooting.
Also, I do have a multi-meter, although I am not 100% sure how to use it. If anyone has some specific instructions (what setting on the meter, red or black lead, etc. ) I am sure I can handle that

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-11, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Check some of the front panel settings. I have an older pioneer receiver that has a "monitor" setting and also a speaker "a" and "b" to run two sets of speakers. (not sure way since I have never used it.) Also double check all your input and output connections.

Old 01-23-11, 12:14 PM
Thank you for your reply,

I almost wrote that it my first post.....I know exactly what you are talking about, and sometimes the Monitor/Tape 2 button would prevent the receiver from working from the other inputs. Also- the A & B button for the different speakers also was a culprit ,if you only had an A OR B set of speakers.

But, neither of these are the issue now, I am 100% certain. I have tried every combination just to make sure, and nothing.

The unit does power up....but are there any likely culprits for no sound? Could the speaker wire connector (small red and black clips hold the speaker wires in)- could that possibly be bad? How else would I know except to replace it I guess....and where I do I find that part, Radio Shack? Is there a way to bypass that to make sure that it is not something further down stream?

As for the other RCA inputs....I am only trying to get some noise from the Tuner (IE FM radio) and nothing will happen- no static, no nothing. I have also verified that the RCA jacks won't make a sound either.....so no CD player, etc. will work.

Just no sound at all from this tuner. Is there a part that could go bad that could cause this? I actually remember the same thing happening right after I bought it, and they replaced something and it worked fine. I just cannot remember for the life of me what the part was.

Any ideas out there? Or maybe a helpful website at all?

Thanks kindly....

Old 01-23-11, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Don't forget...switches can wear out. I had one where I actually had to rebuild the switch and reverse the contacts (lotta time with the magnifier goggles on...lol..the springs were tiny). The only sure way to know is to trace the signal path with an O-scope.

Old 01-23-11, 04:27 PM
Any chance you would point me to a place or describe a bit about tracing signal with an O scope?

Some other research suggests that Output Resistors are a high percentage possibility too. Any thoughts on that? Or info on how I could check/replace them, if it is even worth it?

Thanks

Old 01-24-11, 04:59 AM
The output transistors are likely culprits for the speakers, but the if the tape/recording output doesn't work the problem is in the preamp section.

Old 01-24-11, 01:41 PM
Thanks Rick-

Does it make sense to try to replace the output transistors then? Any idea where I could track down these parts? And would it be worth the cost to give it a try?

Thanks

Old 01-25-11, 10:01 PM
Does the tape/record out work if you connect it to the aux input of a different receiver? If not, the problem is upstream of the output transistors.

Old 01-26-11, 01:18 PM
Could you explain how to test that? Simply run an rca jack from the rear tape inputs on the Pioneer and into another receiver?

Or are you referencing running the headphone jack out of the Pioneer and into another receiver.

Maybe I am missing it....I will take a look for a tape/record out when I have the unit in front of me. Sorry for the ignorance.

Old 01-27-11, 05:29 AM
From the rear tape outputs (sometimes called Record out) to another receiver's aux or tape inputs. This will tell you if the preamp section is working.

Check it with the Pioneer set to FM radio and CD if possible. Not all receivers will pass a digital coax to the tape outputs.