what kind of tv is it?

Old 01-25-11, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what kind of tv is it?

When you walk up a tv---what single thing, or a couple of things, tell you whether it is analog or digital?

My powers of observation are really weak. Guess I need help trying to figure out what kind of TVs I'm looking at. Any old TV, any old place.

I know some have some place on them that might say "digital". Others may not have.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-11, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unless it still says so on the front...you prob need to look at the back panel. Some will say digital or digital ready...and it really means nothing. All tvs are digital ready if you hook up a converter. NTSC is the old analog standard...ATSC is the digital standard. Look for that on the front side or rear. Some will try and say "ALL" LCD or Plasma are digital...and that's not true.
I have a CRT tv that I got a really good deal on 2 1/2 yrs ago and it has an ASTC tuner...if I ever decide to hookup an antenna.

Old 01-25-11, 10:11 PM
Are you talking about buying a new TV or just looking for a way to determine what you're seeing on any TV?

If you're in the market, read the specs. Post back if you need help interpreting them. Virtually all TVs sold today are digital and accept all of the digital inputs. But they also have analog inputs (cable, antenna, VGA, and A/V), which get encoded so the LCD can display them.

Old 01-25-11, 10:54 PM
I'm just talking about walking up to some tv and knowing whether its analog or digital.

I'm going to go through a house, and it has different tvs in different spots. Just wondering how to tell which ones need analog to digital converters or not. I'm hoping there's something simple that will tell the tale.

Old 01-27-11, 05:26 AM
Generally if it has HDMI spigots it will be digital, but that doesn't mean it has a digital tuner. Some DVI connectors are analog, so you can't go by that. The signal chain from the transmission source may be analog, digital, or both, so there is no reliable telltale info in the picture itself.

The best way to tell is to jot down the make & model numbers and check the specs online.

Old 01-27-11, 05:28 PM
from everything said, I think you're exactly right. Take the model and mfg info down and check on it separately.

I'll do that. Thanks. Good info.