digital antenna

Old 02-03-11, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
digital antenna

I have a 32in flat screen digital ready tv and a digital ready dvd recorder from Panasonic. I don't like the Comcast cable I have and I am wondering if I get a digital indoor antenna would I have to get converter boxes for both the tv and the dvd recorder. I want to be able to record from the tv to the dvd recorder while watching another channel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-11, 03:42 PM
Depending on the age of the products, "digital ready" may mean that no ATSC or QAM tuners are included in the TV or DVD. Can you post makes & model numbers for both devices?

For Over-The-Air (OTA) broadcasts you shouldn't need a "digital" antenna. Any TV VHF/UHF antenna will work. However, if the distance from the TV stations' transmitters to your home is more than 15 or 20 miles you may have trouble picking them up on an indoor antenna. You may have to roof-mount or attic-mount a larger antenna. Check AntennaWeb for specifics. (You don't need to provide them with personal info -- the ZIP codes are generally enough to answer those questions.)

A two-way splitter off the antenna (one to the DVD, the other to the TV) will allow you to record one channel while watching another. Connect the DVD to the TV's A/V input to watch the recorded programs.

Old 02-04-11, 11:43 AM
Not sure if it matters to you or not, but keep in mind the DVD recorder will NOT be recording in hi-def. So while you may be receiving an over the air HD signal (720p / 1080i) your recording will at best be 480p. Now if your DVD-R has and HDMI out to the TV and upconverts the signal to hi-def the quality loss may not matter to you.