Optical cable question

Old 02-24-11, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Optical cable question

I'm trying to run an optical cable from my TV to a HTIB but the cable goes into the connections but just sits there - it doesn't "click" or snap or feel like it really is in. I've tried it multiple ways and one way it goes in, but the it doesn't feel like it actually connects and any little pull and it come right out. It looks like it should just push right in but I think it isn't going in all the way - is there some trick to this? The cable won't go into either the TV or the HTIB so could it be a bad cable?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-11, 09:03 PM
Does it work? They are "keyed", meaning they'll only go in one way. Some are held in only by friction. They can loosen over time. You also have to be careful not to get any dust, oil, or other stuff on the connections.

If the devices have RCA digital coax it's the same signal -- you won't lose any quality.

Old 03-11-11, 02:18 PM
Solution - the cable I had purchased had VERY SMALL covers over the optical part of the cables and since I had no experience with the optical digital cables, I didn't know what they were suppose to look like and so I never tried to remove them, again, they were VERY SMALL and covered just the end. I found this out by buying another cable from B-Buy and this cable had a big cover that obviously had to be removed - once I removed the cover I realized that the end to the new one didn't look like the end to the old one. I then found out that these small covers came right off and with them off the cables fit fine. I am just glad I didn't break anything when I tried to use them - - but also since these were so very small there should have been a notice to remove them. All is well.

Old 03-12-11, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the update. I've been working with them for so long I never even think about those covers. Don't throw them out. If you need to remove the cable in the future the ends should immediately be covered. As I said, they are very sensitive to dust & finger oil.