Direct TV HR24 external hard drive upgrade

Old 03-11-11, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Direct TV HR24 external hard drive upgrade

Is there anyway to add an external hard drive to my new Direct TV HR-24 HD DVR? From reading around it looks like there is, but I can't find definitive answers and instructions. Any ideas where to go to get this specific information. I would want to use it as a second drive, not as a replacement. Also, what kind of software, if any, would be needed to make it work?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-11, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
I don't know about Direct, but I have an external drive connected to my Dish DVR. Didn't need any software as I recall. Just plugged it in. Should be info the manual for the dvr I would think.

Old 03-12-11, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Did a quick surf, looks like your back panel should have both eSATA & USB ports.

That site says this:

•Record more of your favorite shows! The DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR lets you easily connect an external hard drive of any capacity for increased recording space.

Also found the manual onloine and browsed it. It refers to the USB as for "future use" and that the SATA connector is for connecting an external hard drive. I think all you have to do is connect the drive via SATA cable and then access the menu option for the drive to format and/or setup. Might have to only connect and turn on ala plug & play. If it's like the Dish the saved programs are only playable through the connected DVR; you can't for instance, connect to a computer and view/download.