Unconventional audio setup for DVD movies. Is this ok?

Old 04-04-11, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unconventional audio setup for DVD movies. Is this ok?

When I watch DVD movies, I use a DVD player hooked up to an LCD monitor. The only compatible video connection between DVD player and the monitor is HDMI. There are very few ports on the LCD monitor. Then for the sound I use the red and white audio cables plugged into adapter for stand-alone speakers, and the yellow video cable just remains unplugged.

So this means that there is sound coming from the LCD monitor built-in speakers and the other home theater system speakers simultaneously. So I just turn the sound down on the built-in monitor speakers and listen to the other ones.

Will using this type of configuration damage anything? The sound from the other speakers is plenty strong and sounds good.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
It won't hurt anything. You might get some sync problems (lips don't match sound) if its a BluRay player...but for normal DVDs shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-04-11, 08:21 AM
There are no sync problems so far. Everything is fine. The DVD player has LOTS of ports, But The LCD monitor and the speakers have very few ports. Why don't they build these things with more ports?

I can still return the speakers. Maybe I'll stick with this setup, since it works well. Is there a better alternative you can suggest, or some other adapater perhaps?

Would regular stereo speakers have more ports and connections? The stand-alone speakers I have are mostly for PC and home entertainment system.

Old 04-04-11, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It would help if you could post the make & model numbers of all of the devices.

If the speaker system has a digital coax (RCA) or Toslink (optical) input you'll get much better sound.

Old 04-06-11, 08:21 AM
Ok, I'll get the make/model numbers when i get home to night

Old 04-06-11, 08:46 AM
I have a home-built PC with onboard sound card on an ASUS motherboard. the speakers I have are Creative Gigaworks T40 series II. The connection is the typical green colored cable. Will digital coax or Toslink work with my speakers?

I;m guessing those options are for expensive high-end speakers.

Old 04-07-11, 05:01 AM
Your connections are correct. Digital connections aren't an option for those speakers.

Old 04-07-11, 08:18 AM
And that's fine. The sound quality is actually pretty good. I'm not a speaker connoisseur. I do notice something peculiar. It sounds like the sound on some of the musical instruments slightly fades or lowers in volume. It was the same using other speakers, so it must be the onboard sound card or something with the PC

Old 04-08-11, 03:25 AM
One of my computers has a "3D" sound setting that really messes with the tonality. Worse, it changes with the content, sometimes multiple times in the same song. Go into Control Panel, Sound and make sure the speakers section is set to "Desktop Stereo" or something similar to what you have.